Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel width and back-spacing..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Dec 20, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When I do my 1 ton conv...(D60/ff14b) I am gonna need to get new wheels (all 6 lug right now). I have pretty much decided on a 16" diameter...but what about width and back spacing? I will prolly run tires ranging from 35 to 37 (maybe 38?) on them...so what kinda width on a rim should I be looking for? 8? 10? wider? What are the pros cons of wider vs narrower?

AFA backspacing is concerned...I am clueless there...anyone know of a www page with a tech article or something? I know what the word means.,..but havent a clue which is best or why. Help! ;)

Jason

ps: if useage matters...I am looking to build a general...all-around wheeling rig. We have sand...mud...rocks...nasty trails...and pretty much everything else here in the NW. =)

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

4" to 4 and 1/8" are good backspacing. As for rim width it depends on how wide of a tire you want to go with. For a 12.50 wide wheel go for and 8" wide wheel for rockcrawling. 10" for 14.50" etc.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I think the "standard" for backspacing is about 4.5 on an 8 lug wheel, thats what i have on my 16x10 and it works well for me, with the 4.5 backspace and the 2"wider 3/4 ton front, the wheels are just as wide as when i had the 3 5/8 backspace on the 1/2 ton front.

As for the width, it can depend on how you wheel and what look you want, I have 36x12.50R16 Radial TSLs on 16x10 AE589s, now i like the width of the wheel, because of the floatation characteristics of the wider wheel, the fatter look of the tire, and the little bit of added stability, Now on the con side, i had to chop some off the fenders, where a narrower tire/wheel would have needed less triming, i've gouged the rims on rocks, which would have been harder to do with an 8" rim, and i can't air down quite as low as some guys, although i don't anyway, (mushy front tires make steering a front locker even more challenging). Larry (86trailblazer) has the same tires on 16X8 Ae589s his look skinnier, and i don't think his footprint is as wide and/or he has to go to lower pressures to get the same footprint, pluses, he hasn't lost a bead (neither have i) and his rims still look good, but i think hes going to go to 10's soon. weigh your options and think about whats more important, float, cutting through, protecting the rim, keeping the bead and looks, all these considerations need to be taken into account.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

4. jekbrown

Ok, backspacing prob seems solved and clear.

I am still a little fuzzy on the width. Right now I have 10" wide rims with 35/12.5s on them...looks/works purdy well for me tho the rims have found rocks from time to time.

With the new rims though, I might end up with some pretty fat tires at some point (38x14.5 or something). At what point does the rim width become restrictive with respect to how wide a tire you want to run? I mean, can you run a 8" wide rim with a 18" wide 44" tire? Seems like it would buldge/baloon to the point where it could easily pop off the bead...maybe I dont understand the situation, but that seems to make sense. The narrowest tire I will ever run on these would be 12.5...the widest prolly 14.5 or 15". Any further suggestions?

Oh yeah, I was browsing through 4WPW's newest mini catalog and see the new Rock Crawler "street locks"...I am not one to go for "looks" on my rig...but it does say that have a beefier reinforced lip...is that true, or just bait to get more customers than they might with a wanna-be beadlock rim?

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about those 4WPW rims but, i would say with what you have planned i'd go with a 10 inch wide, a 12.50 will fit on an 8-10, but if you plan to go to a 14.50-15 i'd go with a 10, and no you really wouldn't want to run an 18 inch wide tire on an 8 inch wide rim for a tire that big you'd want to run a 12-14 inch wide rim.

Anybody else got an opinion??

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If you can get a 18" wide tire on a 8" wheel then you will never have to worry about loosing a bead. The tire would basically bead itself and would hold a bead with almost no air (2-3 psi). At work we put a set of Mickey Thompson sportsman pros 28x12.50/15 on a 6" wide wheel. We got them on, but almost couldnt get them back off after he wore out the tires. It took four guys to break the bead.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. jekbrown