Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheel wobble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, May 20, 2004.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have been trying to figure out the wheel wobble in my brothers truck for sometime now, it is a 77 chevy longbox with an 8" lift and 38.5x14.5x16.5 tsl sx we swapped the front end in it with a big-hubbed 3/4ton 44 out of a 74 chev, when you hit a good bump in the road at lower speeds the drivers side wheel wobbles so bad from side to side (not up and down) you cant control the truck, you have to stop completely and take of again then it is fine. it has a 3" spacer block and raised steering arm for steering correction. i have replaced ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rods and everything seems to be tight, i have even tried swapping tires but it still does it, HELP!!!

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Mines got death wobble too. I put a new steering stabilizer (I used a shock absorber) and it helped enough to get me by since mine sees very little highway. I suspect its my very rock worn bias ply, unbalanced SX's and worn steering gear but Im not going to spend any more effort on it. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

how many stabilizers?
    how is the steering box?
    do you hear odd 'clunks' when steering while the trucks isn't moving? (you guys might think i'm an idiot, but we've been trying to fix a buddy's truck with the same lift and correction methods. He just through crossover at it, so we'll see how that goes)
    and one more stupid question: are the real u-bolts tight?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. bigbadchev84

it does not have a steering stabilizer on it right now, would that cause just the 1 wheel to wobble? i figured it would make both wheels wobble

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Put a GOOD stabilizer on it, not a cheap $20 Autozone one. Then try it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also, hows the drivers side tie rod end?

6. bigbadchev84

i replaced both tie rods, i will try a stabilizer tonight /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

could be bad wheel bearings...... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Make sure the races are firmly seated in the hub. I had a wobble I couldn't figure out and when I went to replace the bearings/races one of the races just fell out. I ended up having to replace the hub because it had worn it out from the race spinning inside.