Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheelbase: front > rear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spincast375, Sep 21, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

Is it possible that the front wheelbase is greater than the rear? We have a Dana 44 up front and a Corp 12 in the rear. I was following the Blazer yesterday in the car and it certainly appears the front tires stick out about 2" more on each side. If this is not an optical allusion, would this have an adverse affect on the steering? tire wear? handling? safety?

Anybody know a good front end shop in TN?

2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Wheelbase is the distance between the front axle and the rear axle of a motor vehicle. It determines how sharply the vehicle can turn in a given direction.

I believe you are thinking of track, the distance between parallel wheels.

And, I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the rear track is approx. 3 inches shorter than the front.

ARAMP1

3. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

You're right. What was I thinking? Too little coffee, too early in the morning.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

this is normal. i believe the measure of wms(wheel mounting surface) to wms on the rear of a halfton is 65" while the front is 67" stock.

of course its possible you have spacers up front as well.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The rear is slightly narrower than the front. I believe the reason is related to a slightly tighter turning radius.