Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheelin' at the Badlands Yesterday (Sunday)

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by gzzgfw, Jun 28, 2004.

1. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Wheelin\' at the Badlands Yesterday (Sunday)

On Last notice I went wheelin' with some old friends of the North Central Indiana Freewheelers on Sunday at the Badlands. It was an awesome day, mid 70's some clouds and cool trucks.

We promptly unloaded and headed on the up and downs of the Green Trail <font color="green"> </font> which proved to be the easiest of the day. After playing on some hills in the sand we started the Pink Trail.

The drop off of the <font color="pink"> </font> was very muddy. The rock ledge drop off was quite a challenge for our under 35incher fellows. The small rock climb was clear of the tree that laketex helped take out a month earlier. And several new lines could be tried. As normal our open both ends jeep buddies had difficulty in this area and needed to be strapped. We crossed the quarry road and up into the Pink trail we went. Again this trail was quite muddy and not so much water this time. We proceeded down into the valley facing the big rock hill that throws you one way then the next. One cheeokee tried the left side and broke immediately a rear yoke. I tried the right and instead of do the normal bump and climb my truck slid straight left and fell off the ledges in an curious position that left me wondering if I was going to roll. This is really the first time in about 8 years that I REALLY had to use my winch to ensure that I didn't roll. After hooking up it came up straight and securely up over the rocks. We helped the cheeokee back to the quarry where the they had to ride in the blazer with me.

We then headed towards the dropoffs into the ravine. The ravine was the normal water but enjoyable. We proceeded up out of the ravine and into the creek. Several of us were able to scale the rock wall out of the creek. After one Chevy suffered a brake line breakage it was vise gripped shut and we went to eat lunch. Next the orange trail.

Now let me tell you that it's been 5 years since I've had a fullsize on the orange trail. And boy has it changed. We were down to 4 vehicles, 2 chevy cab trucks, an YJ and my K5. We entered with little trouble and through the tight trail and went up and down the trail. There was one drop through trees that left one cab truck door handle stuck in the tree and busted the window out. No doors are a good thing! I also saw an K5 rear side window laying on the grass. Through the extreme flexing I suffered my first down time in this K5, my main battery line shorted against my header. Some electicial tape later I was running again. I am glad that my battery didn't short out. It would be next to impossible to haul a fullsize out dead. We continued through the mud holes and hills and off cambers to the end of the trail. Needless to say I was quite sweaty. This goes to show the short wheel base, jeep and suzuki guys that a tight trail isn't necessarily a hard trail. If it fits it can be done. Unlike some other terrain that is hard to tackle no matter what you bring.

Believe it or not we still had a couple of hours left and we climbed some sand hills to open up the V8's a little. We made it back to the qurry where I tried the little rock trail straight from the enterance. I made it up to the hill but there were many new rocks that was added from the last time I saw the last bunch try it in May. The rock proved to much on me and my tie rod so I kindly backed down.

In all the old purple K5 did well. One cab truck lost the studs in his steering arm so he limpped back as well as the YJ with a bad grinding in his rear diff, hoping that it was only spiders and not the ring and pinion. Can't wait for the next time!

2. WrenchGirl

WrenchGirl Registered Member

Re: Wheelin\' at the Badlands Yesterday (Sunday)

Sounds like you guys had an interesting,
    yet fun time on your pick-up and go trip
    Mark! Thanks for lettin' us know about it!

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Sounds cool, wish I could have went with ya. On the other hand, all but the new microwave got put in.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Man, I wish you'd invited me, I am really aching to go.

I'm DEFININTELY in for the run in July.

How was orange? Think I'll do ok sans doors on the orange trail?

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Through the extreme flexing I suffered my first down time in this K5, my main battery line shorted against my header. Some electicial tape later I was running again. I am glad that my battery didn't short out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me also, only against the frame. My battery was junk by the time I could get it unhooked. I am putting in the Ford solenoid to fix it.

It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I have heard many times that the badlands are a blast, but I've never been. I am thinking about taking a week vaction in september or october to go if a friend of mine can go also, I'd hate to be there alone and break something or get stuck. I will have to stay on the mild trails with my "poser" blazer/truck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, I wish you'd invited me, I am really aching to go.

I'm DEFININTELY in for the run in July.

How was orange? Think I'll do ok sans doors on the orange trail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I actually thought about posting it Sat. evening when my friends called at 6 pm. I called a few people to see if they wanted to ride. But riding mostly by myself, definitely needed a copilot on the orange trail. Leave the doors and bedsides for the orange. To be honest it's not that challenging in terms of traction, crossups or hills, just TIGHT with trees, so I sugggest not tearing up that truck for the sake of it.

I am removing my outer bedsides next week and replacing with some tubing. I just need to do it so it doesn't look dorky....I really tore up the sides on the orange trail. If I had fenders they would have been gone too.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm, maybe the orange trail is not for me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I could put my shitty bed on before I come to badlands next time and leave the doors at home.