Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheelin in northern cal?

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by herauf, Feb 19, 2001.

1. herauf

herauf Registered Member

anyone know of any good beginner wheelin spots in northern CA? how about near the bay area? thanks, ryan

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

carnegie is located just south of tracy. it's mainly for motorcycles, but there's a small area in front for four-wheel drives. that would probably be the closest. after that, i'd say frank raines off-road vehicle park. it's just past wesley, on I-5 south. take the patterson exit, but go to the right.
    look for northern california wheeling in this (blazin trails) section for a little more info.
    good luck, and post if you're going!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>
    don't lie. its a courier with a campershell

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Frank Raines and Hollister Hills are good places and I'll be trying to put a run together soon. I'll post the date here as soon as I get down to Hollister Hills and check it out. I was at Frank Raines scouting it out a couple weeks ago.

Stay tuned.

David 75K5
    http://www.extremeblazer.com

[​IMG]

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Can go up near cisco grove after the snow is gone. We also go to georgetown through all the old logging trails that is a lot of fun in the middle of the night with a group. Go up 80 or 50 and make your own trails, we do that too.

5. delta9blazer

hey, i think my neighbor and i are going to frank raines this saturday. he has a stock exploder, but what the hell. a guy from work with a blazer might go too, but he usually flakes out.
    if i go, i'll plan on being at the AM/PM minimart @ the patterson exit off of I5 at around 10:00 saturday morning. its about 15-20 miles south of the I5/580 split.
    if ya miss us there, go 17 miles east to the park, and throw two bucks in the little mailbox thingie.
    i'm in a black 89, neighbor's in a green exploder, buddy's in a grey 79.
    C-YA!

don't lie. its a courier with a campershell

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately I can't make it. Too many other things going on this weekend, besides I heard they shut it down whenever it rains because the hills get too slippery. Don't know if it's true or not but keep it in mind.

Have fun.
    David 75K5
    http://www.extremeblazer.com

[​IMG]

7. delta9blazer

so, we ended up going out there on sunday. i didn't even try on saturday because of the rain.
    we saw several blazers and trucks going past us on the way in, and when we got there the guy almost wouldn't let us in. he said that he just turned away about eight trucks cause it was too slippery. i talked him into letting us screw around down in front, on the fairly level stuf.
    i've been there a few times, and never had problems with this one hill, and yesterday i couldn't make it![​IMG] damn hill was slick! i slipped into the ruts and my truck started to slip down the hill, heading for sideways. the park ranger had just let us in, so i decided i didn't need to impress him or my neigbor with an incident. that was the only one we tried that we didn't make.
    my neighbor let his boy (15) drive, and that was fun to watch. i went up a steep hill, about to the top of a two-story house. just before the top, it got almost vertical for a foot or so. i pick my line, crawl up to the face, and blast over with chevy power (VERY cool). i realized that the exploder might not make it, so i get out, and walk to the crown of the hill, just in time to see steve at the bottom of the hill, flooring it.
    the first part of the hill is fairly nice, so he gets a decent bit of speed before he hits the vert portion. damn f*rd did a hell of a wheelie up the rest of the hill![​IMG]
    then we played tag in a big-assed mudhole for awhile.
    all in all, a very nice day trip. stay tuned for the next one.....