Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheelin' Story.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speedy, Dec 9, 2001.

1. speedy

speedy 1/2 ton status

Wheelin\' Story.....

This weekend I went wheelin with some friends. Let me remind ya'll that there's about 2 ft. of snow in town and about 3 or 4 in the hills. A bunch of us decided to go up the other night. I didn't drive that night, but I rode with 2 other guys up there to go wheelin. We were working on a trail going up a hill that was straight up. We could get the front tires over the crest of the hill, but not the back ones. Another guy tried it and got a flat tire. Then a guy in a toyota, which made it up already just in another spot, couldn't make it up this one. So we decide to try it one more time before we move on. We came back down so fast and flew sideways. We were on two wheels and I thought for sure we were gonna roll, but we somehow got back down on all four without rolling. Then we went back to the fire for a bit and then went back out. This time there was 5 in the cab. I had to sit on a friends lap (yeah that was fun, not) The guy by the window had his beer out the window so he didn't spill it, he brought it in to take a drink before we went at the hill, but he wasn't quick enough and the beer spilled all over my head, the whole thing!!! That's when I got out and walked back to the fire. Turns out the guy broke his u-joints. All in all it was fun!!! sorry this is so long, just wanted to share with ya'll!

I LOVE YOU AJ!!! Til we meet again. ~Michelle

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Wheelin\' Story.....

Michelle...I'm sure it was a blast and I hate to be the one to bring it up but wheelin and drinkin ain't the best/safest thing to do. Also cramming 5 people into a pick-up cab with no seatbelts is also kinda unsafe.
    I like beer like most other people but I prefer a brew after the trail...not while on it. We have a lot of problems here with litter on our trails in the form of beer cans...yahoos getting themselves injured by getting thrown out of the truck etc etc. Wheelin is plenty of fun even when done sober and with proper safety equipment...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. speedy

speedy 1/2 ton status

I understand Rene and that's why I don't drink when wheelin. The guy driving wasn't drinking either. I wouldn't have got in the truck if he had been. I didn't really like the no seat belts either, but we weren't doing hard core wheelin, that time it was mainly just flat stuff. We tried the hill once when all of us were in there. Thanks for your concern. I thought of all of that too. [​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

Good to hear...the last thing we need is somebody getting hurt out there!

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. speedy

speedy 1/2 ton status

I agree! Especially with what just happened in my life!

6. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

Hey I experienced first hand drinkin and wheelin. I was a passenger in my friends pathfinder, there was four of us in there. I was in the back seat, we were all pretty intoxicated, driving on my buddy's land we were "pathfinding" in this open field, with brush about as high as the truck. When all of a sudden WHAM! we found a 3ft deep ditch. That took care of the pathfinder. and we all had bumps and bruises to show for it. kinda sucked. I didn't feal comfortable going wheelin' after we had been drinking , but they kept saying they would'nt do anything "wild" yeah right!. Learned my lesson. Won't do that again. Glad to hear everyone was ok Speedy. Be careful! but still get wild!

88 K5... work in progress

7. tRustyK5

Yeah...I didn't really want to bring that up because what happened to AJ was not alcohol or seat belt related. The point is still there.

Our wheelin club spends a lot of time doing trail clean-ups and it sickens me to see so much garbage and disrespect for our trails. Many of the easier trails end up being used as a party place...and unfortunately it's mostly younger people that get blamed. Our club also strictly enforces the no alcohol on the trail rule...we've seen too many incidents involving injury that stemmed from drunken wheeling. We've also lost access to certain areas because of the drunken yahoo factor.

We used to have a deadly place to wheel for mud (if you liked mud...) it was near to everyone and would challenge the largest trucks as well as the smallest trucks. There was something for everyone. Recently there was a group of people that used the internet to organize a "Sip and pass" race at this spot. The goal was to race a 'course while drinking. The problem aside from the drinking was that almost all the entrants showed up in stolen cars. Ever seen nearly new Camaro's, Durango's, Chrysler mini-vans, and Acura's race through the bush purposely hitting each other, hitting trees etc? Sounds funny but it really isn't. Finally one competitor stopped to change a tire and got smoked by another car. They had to call 911 and the place has been closed down permanently since then.

Rene

8. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I miss that place allot. Before I ever had a truck or my license I used to go dirt bikeing out there. I would say that was probally the funnest place to go that was that close.
    To bad it got closed.

Stuck? Yep, I'm always stuck!
    Steve!

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

man Rene that is a wild story. i have always liked the saying drive it like you stole it but that is some serious crazy stuff there.
    Justin

10. tRustyK5

You wouldn't believe how many burned and stripped 'stolen's' our club has dragged off the trails here...it sickens me.

Rene

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I hate how a few of the stupid people can give the rest of us such a bad name. Lots of people here think that 4-wheeling is a bunch of crazies with beer and trash that tear up trails while cutting down trees and destroying rivers with overspill oil and things. I try to explain it's nothing like that, but they never listen. Oh well, as long as I do my good part.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just went to a OHV park this weekend that I hadn't been to before. I enjoyed it better than the other near us, but the trash was deplorable. Hard to answer the kids when they ask "why do people throw their trash out like that?". I find in most of our parks it seems to be the ATVs that are a bit more disresepctful at night and destructive than the big 4x4s. Maybe its also because these crews are usually younger, too.

Our club is very strong against alcohol. Having it on the trail, or going after you've had it, is means for immediate expulsion from the club and being sent home from a run. We have a big competition in March that is covered by 4 Wheeler mag. The last thing the club or our sport needs is publicity of someone rolling or getting hurt with even the slightest implication of alcohol being involved.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!