Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheelin' Thanksgiving Weekend

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Wheelin\' Thanksgiving Weekend

Friday 11/28/03, Saturday 11/29/03, and Sunday 11/30/03 are the dates for that weekend. I usually have to work Fridays, but if we can get something going for that weekend I can see about taking that day off.

It seems that I'm not the only one interested in doing some milder wheeling. There are many miles of dirt roads in this State that might lead to some really fun off-road adventures. I think it would be really fun to some off-road road trips across the desert. Especially if we could all meet and leave together. My idea is to meet, drive way out to the middle of nowhere, camp for the night under the stars, get up in the morning, put out the campfire and continue accross country, camp one more night, and head home the next day(on pavement if necessary).

Anyone know of a trail that would serve this purpose and possibly provide some interesting sightseeing and wheeling along the way?

I think it would be really fun to drive all the way to Payson, or Prescott, or somewhere where most people take the freeway to get there, but we'd travel on mostly dirt trails. Does this kind of "Ultimate Adventure" with less pavement and staying within the state sound like fun to anyone else?

If nobody else is interested in doing this T-Day weekend I'm up for anything, but if this kind of adventure sounds like fun to anyone let me know and we'll see if we can make some plans for the future.

Later, Allan Greenblazer.

2. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Re: Wheelin\' Thanksgiving Weekend

I'm on pager duty /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif that weekend, but that sounds like a great offroad adventure to me. Maybe some other long weekend.

Jay

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That sounds like a blast BUT with the 2 year oldtwins and only bein in the house for a week.... I was thinkin more about a one day trip kinda thing. But maybe we can meet ya somewhere on the trail maybe on Saturday?? This is of course assumin I'm not workin as I don't have a job nailed down yet. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm sure we'll keep talkin till the day comes. Well back to packin. Good luck y'all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A few guys from work and I are gonna go up the Harquahala Smithsonian observatory trail on Saturday the 29th if any of you guys want to go along.

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

hyjack...

allen, when are you moving down here? Need any help? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

also I'm lookin for wheeling that weekend if the blazer will permit me to do so /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. justhorsinaround

Sure Shawn I always welcome slave labor. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Don't know times yet or what not just know this Saturday is the scheduled day of movin in. Anyways, talk to ya again soon.

Allan

7. Greenblazer-AZ

Tell us more about the Harquahala Smithsonian Observatory Trail. I've never heard of it. Where is it, what kind of wheeling is it, anybody camping? Please give us details.

8. azblazor

9. Greenblazer-AZ

Thanks for the info! That's sounding like a trip that I would enjoy, but I'm not sure that I wan't to spend that kind of time on the Freeway. My rig is not happy traveling at high speed for very long. It currently has driveline vibration issues, hence the desire to avoid pavement.

Which reminds me that I have a tech question that I'll be posting in the second gen board concerning the problem. Please check it out and let me know if you have any ideas.

If anyone is interested in the kind of trip I described at the begining of this thread, please let me know. I am interested in doing a trip like that but it doesn't have to be T-day weekend. Anyone else? Maybe... Dirt roads all the way to Prescott for the car show thing on Dec 13th? I'm thinking of the "Back way to Crown King" then Senator Highway(well groomed dirt road) the rest of the way to Prescott. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Later, Allan Greenblazer

10. justhorsinaround

Hey Allan, We're kinda jazzed about the Harquahala trip as Jenn is a Astro Geologic Physics Major. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif My truck has driveline issues as well (not lookin forward to the drive to Phx) but if we were to take 60 from Phx through Wickenburg it doesn't have to be highway speeds. Just a thought. Talk to y'all again soon.

Allan

11. azblazor

Highway speed is 45 if you want. I've even done 40 through phoenix with an unbalanced trailer before /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Greenblazer-AZ

I'm not ruling that trip out, it sounds like something I'd really like to do. I would like some more details about the plans. Is it being planned as a day trip only? Does anyone want to do the camping thing that weekend? Who all thinks they will be going?

13. azblazor

The group of guys I work with will probably be be meeting at Rip Griffin truck stop about 8AM. Do breakfast till 9AM then head out. We will have 4-6 vehicles probably. details will firm up next week. I don't think anybody I've talked to yet is camping but there are lots of good areas and other interesting places, mines, ghost towns etc.

14. justhorsinaround

As it sits we're plannin on doin somethin on Saturday but no campin for these children. If nuthin else I found our sleepin bags that we had stored in the shed had gotten eatin by some woodland creature. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Apparently sleepin bag stuffins make right nice nests. Anyways, that's where we're at right now. Talk to ya again soon.

Allan

15. azblazor

16. azblazor

Saturday Rip Griffin Truck Stop, out west about 30 minutes, can't miss it. 8am for breakfast, leave there at about 9AM. CB channel 30, HAM 2m 146.52, KC7YKP. 2 fullsize broncos, a wrangler, a fullsize ramcharger, a CJ, a suburban, and us in a K5.