Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheelin w/ Sm465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Aug 29, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to get mud in your clutch??
    How much abuse can a rebuilt stock clutch take?
    ie: while pulling somone out, and wheeling hard??

87 k5, 6in, 35" BFG muds.
    Future Mods: KNfilter, Flowmaster Force2 Catback, change the 5.5 blocks and .5 addaleafs to 6in springs.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You can get mud in your clutch, but it will be wiped off like a disc brake. Centrifugal force tends to keep it away from the springs and splines. Stock clutches will take quite a bit, obviously a Centrforce or other HD aftermarket is better, but stockers will survive pretty well.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well that's not totaly true. I have seen a mud filled clutch bring a farily well built truck to it's knees and have to be trailered home. Ended up being able to be cured by dropping the inspection cover and having somebody hold the clutch while somebody else hosed it out. It was a ford.
    Really for a Mud truck a Auto is almost better so the driver can keep both hands on the wheel. Wheel spin is key and Shifting mid way through a pit is a hell of a lot to do when your full throttle.
    Where a stick is nice is for crawling if you got the gear in the pigs to handle dumping the clutch at idle and not stalling the engine at high idle.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Wow! I've never seen one do that! - Ditto on the auto. Much nicer to keep the wheels spinning in mud/sand.

<a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Wow! I've never seen one do that! - Ditto on the auto. Much nicer to keep the wheels spinning in mud/sand.

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with Grim here. When I used to wheel in the mud I have come out of the trail hit the gas and the tach went to the moon. I could only drive in 1st if I tried to go to second it would just slip. Went to a pressure washer and you would be amazed at the amount of muck that came out. It took three days before my clutch stopped feeling like a wet sponge when you pushed it in.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

If you did get mud in it, how wold you clean it out?

Future Mods: KNfilter, Flowmaster Force2 Catback, change the 5.5 blocks and .5 addaleafs to 6in springs.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There's a tin inspection cover that you could remove to spray the mud out. I have wheeled some deep sloppy mud and haven't had a problem with the clutch, but my cover is still pretty straight and prolly keeps the worst of the mud out. A bad clutch fork boot would be prolly where the mud can get in and clog the works up.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

An auto is probably better for a mud truck. My friends have had problems with them holding up though. My one friend's TH 400s couldn't even take the abuse that he puts to them with big block and his driving habits.

I'm going with an SM 465 because I don't like driving a truck with an automatic. My 700R4 has always worked well, but I wanted a stick shift before I even got my truck, so I'm swapping in an SM 465. Also, I want to stop worrying about overheating my 700R4 while towing, nor do I want to continue to worry about my chain in my NP 208.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

A stock TH 400 would hold up to a 10 second car.

<hr></blockquote>

And it won't hold up to a zero-traction mud truck?

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What does it feel like when the clutch slips??

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Got a SM 465 and found out last night what its like shift through a mud bog...the story kinda goes like this
    I Got Stuck!!! Worst part is a buddies Heep Hairykee with 32s pulled me out(he loved pulling the "chevy" out--Thats braggin rights for a heep")...then again I made the mistake of one going through with 33" swampers and making big ruts and two of going back through in L gear when I went to shift to first gear lost momentum and when I let out in first my front axle high centered in the ruts and the back just stayed put spinning....as far as clutch problems...none yet...changed a throwout bearing which was a pain to get to...when you push in the clutch it will sqeal somethign awful if its the throwout bearing

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

13. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

you dont shift in the mud with a 465. pick a gear and try and push your foot through the rad

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If your friends th400 cant hold up then he needs to find a different rebuild shop. The th400 in my firebird has lasted 3 yrs of drag racing and street use. It was a stock rebuild. 525 hp and 650 ft/lbs.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

His dad rebuilt it, who is very good. He didn't even put a gallon of gas through it before it went out again. Obviously something wasn't done correctly.

The driver is a nutcase and gets far from zero traction. He has 18" wide Boggers. He didn't actually burn up the tranny, we just put the 4 speed in it because the competition was a few days away and he needed his truck working QUICK!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

16. DesertDueler

I was going to say, its pretty hard to break a th400. They will normally let you know well in advance when their time has come to get rebuilt.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

17. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

If I remember right white__knight, the one with the s-10 conversion that runs mudbog races uses a 465/205 combo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

18. DesertDueler

Your correct he uses 465/205 setup.

19. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

SHE i believe teresa drives no?
    autos (or lencos) rule the bogs

20. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Wish my mud truck had a Lenco! And they can get 8:1 first gear in the 5 speeds!!!

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!