Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheelin without shocks ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by old clunker, Feb 17, 2007.

1. old clunker

old clunker Registered Member

I have a 78 long box with 6" ez ride springs and i was wondering if there are any advantages to wheeling without shocks? The 6" ride kinda rough and do not flex real well. I know it would ride softer with no shocks but would be bouncier also. I have extended brake lines and need longer travel shocks now but any ideas how i could make it ride and flex better with the 6" springs ? I know that a 6" spring isnt going to flex that great but thats what im stuck with for the time being.

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

As long as you keep your speed down to 5MPH or less everywhere I don't see much harm.
    However I don't see any advantages.

3. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did that once when I broke one rear shock mount and broke the other rear shock on the same trail. NOT FUN! It was impossible to keep the rear tires on the ground, even over the smallest bumps. And the bump stop pad kept getting hit. It will wear out the springs faster and it is dangerous! I would not recommend doing this on purpose.

4. old clunker

old clunker Registered Member

I see what you mean and i doubt that it would help any. I noticed that u have the same lift as me but a 4" Big sub. How does that ride and flex? I only run 35-36's so im not worried about hitting fenders or anything. The rear on mine seems to flex better than the front. Any ideas why? I also need new shocks cuz mine on front max out with any flex at all. Anybody ran the pro comp extended length shocks? i know that would help out with the front anyway.

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have ran my K5 with out shocks for 3 years. I think it had a little better flex due to no shock limiting travel. But any any kind of bumps it was not fun there have been times going 2 mph and hitting a bump. I have hit my head on the roll cage. I'm doing a shock install now tired of the rebound and hitting my head

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ditto...the shocks on my truck are empty and its not fun :(

7. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i ran my '80 with the new 4'' lift for several months, but got tired of the rebound so i mounted my rs5000's up and it went from a super smoth ride to a dump truck like ride. but it doesn't bounce for a mile down the road after a bump, just a hard bump then it settles down, but they seem wat to stiff, almost feels like the shocks locked my suspension up...is there a smoother shock, that any1 could reccomend?

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

When I bought my truck, shocks were pretty low on the list of priorities. After a couple months, I crawled under there to look at them...and there were the remnants of the factory pieces (shaped like a twisted pretzel rod)!! None of them were attached any more, but there were razor sharp rusty spikes on my axletubes and frame, occasionally they'd hit and make this funny sound. That truck didn't ride *too* bad, but it also had a rear leaf pack about 5" thick :eek:

9. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I ran my 71 with 6 inch springs up front and eights in the rear with no shocks for a few years. Never noticed any problem at all.
    A buddy of mine behind me on the highway going to the trails did say I cought air a few times over the bridge joints and stuff but it never felt scary.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status