Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling around Durango CO?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is there any good wheeling around Durango CO? I figure you Colorado boys might know. I know Farmington and Avalanche Ranch are only 1 hour away but is there anything else?

How far is Powerhouse Road, Carnage, Independence & Blanca Peak from Durango?

I ask because the way things are looking I might be living in Durango this time next year. I will be in no man's land though it looks like. 7 hours from the AZ boys and 7 hours from most of the CO crew.

Anyone else live in the Durango area? Thanks

Harley

2. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I might be living in Durango

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your leaving AZ? Your blazer still needs more AZ body damage.

3. Hossbaby50

Tenitively yes I am going to be leaving AZ and moving to Durnago in June next year. It isn't set in stone though, but it kinda looks that way. I will have another wheeling season before I leave though, so I will get to run some big boy trails before I go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am sure I will trailer my truck down here for some runs after that though since I really do like the AZ wheeling. Should be able to meet some of the guys in Moab, Farmington, and Cruces too.

I will only be 4 hours from Moab too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Harley

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

coolness....junction isn't that far away. still need to get down that way and explore this summer. why durango and not fort collins ?

dw

5. Hossbaby50

My girlfriend is from Durango and is going to transfer to Fort Lewis College (in Durango) from Colorado State so she can get here elementary education degree. She has lots of family there and I really like it up there. I don't have much here in town holding me back and I hate the heat and this city so I want out. This is my out. The only reason I want to stay in AZ honestly is the Four Wheeling and the people here that I four wheel with.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll only be about an hour from Silverton. There are a LOT of trails between there and Ouray and Telluride. Most of them are pretty easy, but the scenery is just unreal. Good Elk hunting around there too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well....you'll have an old az. wheelin bud a couple hours away at the most...plus it will give me more of an excuss to take the chalet down there on weekends and explore...did black bear pass last summer in the 79...never again! But the scenery is unbelievable...just hope you like cold winters and snow. This year the co. winter allmost got the best of me here in junction...guess it was one of those 10 year worst deals...but damn it was brrr....

DW

8. Hossbaby50

Cold doesn't really bother me all that much. Fort Collins wasn't bad and I understand Durango is a little worse. More snow. I was in Fort Collins last March when the Blizzard went threw. 3ft of snow was no biggy. My truck drove around just fine with lockers, 32" AT's. Now I have 35's and a winch so I am not worried. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I got a cool project truck up there that I will start on. '78 Ford F250 w/D60's. Can you say truggy and 39.5's. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I want to get up your way when I get there too so I can run 21 Road. Is it passable in a locked blazer with 35's?

Also it means I am only 4 hours from Moab. Should make it alot easier to attend Blazer Bash. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Harley

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I will be spending a week in the Durango area in August checking out a few days of wheeling anyway. Engineers pass. some ghost towns. I think imogene pass is there too. Gonna do some around Lake City and Buena vista this summer also. There is about 5 of us on the board on the western slope. Several good clubs in the area too.

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I've driven 21 road all the way up to toyota rock and turned around...as my wheels were so warped from rocks i thought i was going to loose a bead...lol.

Good friend in town and fellow wheeler (even though he's a heep guy) can answer all your 21 road questions...he's done it plenty of times. They also opened up a new trail right here in junction two weeks ago...its a 9 on the scale...me and my metioned friend walked around half of the trail prior to the official opening...billings canyon jeep trail...it has permanent winch points and all.

Gee...the last time i wheeled with you your K5 was pretty much stock and i remember stopping and picking up your front grille....and thats the outing my rear pop right died...lol. Been awhile.

DW

11. Hossbaby50

Ya, the truck has come along way since then. After that run I got serious about getting my truck up for some good trail.

I wanted to be able to follow most anyone and take whatever lines I wanted to, and not have to bypass everything cool. Now I am getting to that point. I can take about any line I want that is within reason and won't incure huge amounts of body damage. Once the sliders are on in a couple weeks many more fun lines will open up to me and I can't wait. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif It just has to cool down so I can try them out.

My new grill is held in by zip ties too like the one you picked the pieces up of. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif This time there is more ties in better places though and tranny cooler lines to hold it in place. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Harley

12. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the Western Slope. We people on this side "O" the divide ain't the most purty be we sure be some good rednecks /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. But seriously, there are some great trails just west out of Montrose. I see Jeeps being towed out of there all the time. I'm embarassed to say I haven't been able to do them yet due to mechanical insufficiences, small wallet, etc. etc. I do gaurantee you that you can find all the trails you want. (not to mention Moab). Let us know when you get here and maybe we can set up a meet in Silverton. OLD DAWG AKA Doug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah a meet in silverton would be kewl all i need now is lower gears