Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling Carnage of 208 PICS!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is the proof that rear bumpstops are a must. I learned the hard way last night.

Pics of the Carnage

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13964&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13962&password=0&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1[/image]

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13961&password=0&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1[/image]

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13960&password=0&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1[/image]

Harley

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

3. Hossbaby50

What am I doing wrong to not get the pics to show up?

Harley

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

carnage

They link fine. I think it is a CK5.com gallery deal. Can't remote link pics due to bandwidth or something along those lines.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    if you link the image itself instead of the page you are viewing it works fine /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

How did you do that?? Did the shaft get compressed too far into the case?? Damn

7. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

It's just your tags are wrong is why they don't link, well if you could link from the ck5 gallery don't think you can though.

" "
    [​IMG]

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

dood! did you jump off a cliff or something?

9. Hossbaby50

Yep. I had a combo of things go wrong all at once. I was climbing a loose uphill to get out of a trail and it had ledges. For a heavy K5 the only way I have seen to get it is to bump it. Well I got on a bad line an bumped it a little harder then I would like to have. I hit a ledge with the front tires and the rear hit one too and the 14bff smacked a rock. The truck jumped 3 feet in the air I am told and when it came down BANG. At first I thougt the damage was just the rear driveshaft. Upon inspection the rear case was broke.

Upon inspection and removal today I have determined that the rear driveshaft compressed to far as the landed and broke the case, sheared the yoke, mangled the driveshaft, busted up the custom crossmember, and bent the main shaft in the tcase.

I now know I need longer bumpstops on the back axle. I never really thought I would need them with 4" lift and a stock length driveshaft. I was more worried about over extension then to much compression. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have to canabalize what is left in my case that is good and rebuild another case that is bad to get the truck back on the road. I have a spare shaft to run at least.

Harley

10. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i've managed to bust a couple 208 before
    but none of them busted that bad /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My buddy had a 700R4 and 208 swapped into his 70 K5. One day he aired it on a water bar and it came down REAL hard on the front. The Motor mounts on the older trucks is just a block of rubber and it canallow move ment in all directions.

So what happend is the front suspension fully comressed. The motor and tranny went forward. The drive shaft ran out of travel. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It was ugly! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

The motor went so far foward the down pipes off the rams horns hit the engine mount brackets on the frame and busted the flange off the driverside ram.
    THe 20 didn't bust it ripped the back off the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah if your gunna brake brake big!!!!
    do you have a remote oil filter on your front bumper????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. Hossbaby50

Remote Tranny filter. It uses spinon oil filters though.

Harley