Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling doors

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Topdown, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok, so after seeing all the yota's with the U shaped cut-outs in thier doors I am thinking about cutting into my "old" (the doors currently on my blazer) and making a set of wheeling doors when I put the new doors on...

Anyone ever made a set? Thoughts?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just go to the tube doors dude. Lighter, easier to put on, give ya a better view etc. I pivoted off a big old tree on mine this weekend... a purdy chopped door just woulda got mashed.

j

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here are mine. Not pretty, and they don't hold up well when you get up against a tree with them. I am ditching mine and going to build new 1/2 doors out of 2" angle iron or something like that, and then skin them w/ sheetmetal. I am hoping that they will be a little more sturdy like that.

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here are mine. Not pretty, and they don't hold up well when you get up against a tree with them. I am ditching mine and going to build new 1/2 doors out of 2" angle iron or something like that, and then skin them w/ sheetmetal. I am hoping that they will be a little more sturdy like that.
    [​IMG]

5. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

Hey dude, how did your top get all smashed, looks almost like you rolled it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ya i second the fact that regular doors turned into half doors just get mashed....mine are about destroyed

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya ryan, go tube doors /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Im gonna get a lil 120 mig welder, and one of those cheap tube benders from harbor freight....me and a buddy made his in an evening for his toyota...they work awesome....better then No doors /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey dude, how did your top get all smashed, looks almost like you rolled it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Yeah, I would vote on some homemade jobbers rather than cutting the factory ones, unless you want to build some sort of a steel frame inside them to sturdy them up a little bit.

9. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Ryan, I plan to make some half doors for mine too. Lets share ideas. I have a picture of a 1st gen one but not a closeup shot.

10. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    unless you want to build some sort of a steel frame inside them to sturdy them up a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, you have to make an internal frame for them. That's really not that hard.