Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling in Colorado...in May/June

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89GMCSuburban, Dec 10, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Thought more people would see if I posted this here...
    I'm planning a trip to Colorado in my Burban, I want to go wheeling in Colorado since it'll be my first trip there in a capable 4x4. Anyone want to arrange a trail run? I'd really like to do some stuff in Ouray or near Denver. I want to do some trail running, but not by myself since I don't know any of the area. Anyone want to go, late may / early june?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Be careful what you wish for, we have mean trees and rocks.

I think you're set to do just about anything around silverton, ouray, and telluride, but that early in the season you could run into significant snow and closed roads. That depends on the quality of our winter of course but it could very well be a problem. Most high country trails around here don't get busted open till june and some not till july.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yeah, what Stephen said. I've been unable to get over the very top of Tincup Pass on July 4th before. There was about 12 feet of snow blocking the trail right at the pass. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've also been stopped on Pearl Pass on the first weekend in August because there was just too much snow to continue! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You'll still be able to get in a lot of good wheeling, but you may find that you have to turn around on some of the trails, rather than going on over to the other side. Of course it all depends on how much snow we get this winter. Last winter we had very little snow and most trails opened much earlier than usual.

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

il bet i could find six or seven peeps down here in junction that would be up for it . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You could always run Penrose that time of year /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

Hmmm...I can put it off to a later date...what's the best time to go?

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

To be absolutely sure to get over all you can, sometime in august. That's almost when it starts snowing up high again and everything should be melted out. It always depends on the snowpack but that would be as good as it gets.

8. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

You might want to consider buying "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". There are two volumes, each covering different areas of CO. Lowest prices I've found were at Wal-Mart.com: $10.05 & $11.94.

9. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Im up for wheelin just about any time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know quite a few trails around Denver.

10. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

if i was in colorado i would definatly go.. my parents live 45 from Durango. this past summer we took a trip across Black Bear Pass into Telluride... beautiful trail... would be pretty interesting taking the burb down the Bridal Vail falls part of the Black Bear...we also went across Ophir pass.. which could easily be done with the Burb. trickiest part of Ophir is the long uphill climb that they claim is 2 way... there is an old rusted smashed car on this hill climb closer to the top that seemed to have lost its battle with the pass.....

Here are a few pics from my Trip...

Just beyond the lake is the Bridal Vail falls (300ft waterfall) part of Black Bear. Bridal Vail falls is 2500" of switchback which drops into Telluride...which you can barely see in the distance of the pic...
    [​IMG]

This is a view of the "2 way" up hill part of Ophir pass.
    [​IMG]

here is my website of more pics from my trip to CO....
    Colorado Adventure

11. 89GMCSuburban

I'll be sure to let everyone know on an exact date. I'd like to meet some people off the board, and what better than a wheeling trip? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'd like to go to Moab, but it'll take me 3 days of driving just to get there! I can't take enough time off to handle a 6 day round trip.

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I moved to Co. in may of this year but never had the time to make it down there yet...new job...new house...sell old house....new baby. So i am in Grand Junction....right around 90 miles from Moab and 150 from Silverton....keep me posted i'd like to hook up with ya....might even take the Chalet and do some campin.

Azblazer