Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling Pics, Flatfender Farms, Hudson WI, NOT FOR DIAL-UP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Nov 20, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got another chance to take the pumpkin out. It was deer opener in Wisconsin so of course the blaze orange came in handy. :D

We had 15 rigs at the beginning of the day and ended up with 5 or so due to a little breakage and lots of body damage. A couple inches of snow melted in the morning and made things unbelievably slippery. It was a good time, I didn't break anything except a window and totalled my door but you'll read that story in a second.

Some of the rigs that came out:
    [​IMG]

Somebody brought their Subaru out. Half an hour later he was stuck hopelessly at the bottom of the entrance hill trying to get out of park. Steve and a couple other rigs staid to help and the rest of us went off to play. Two hours later Steve came and asked me to come help. All the other rigs were just sliding around. The heavy fullsize and it's monstrous winch saved the day. :p:
    [​IMG]

Me burying the truck on Donkeypunch. About 2 seconds after this photo was taken I punched it and dug straight down and buried it over the axle tubes.
    [​IMG]

Can't remember the name of the hill but tire speed was everyone's friend all day.
    [​IMG]

Me trying to crawl a crack on Bob's Well.
    [​IMG]

Short story: I got throttle happy and killed my door.

Long story: I was shooting for the naming rights on a virgin trail. Two people tried it before me and had to winch. I got all the way to the end and there was one nasty ledge keeping me from glory. I tried a few different lines and different speeds and eventually I realized that it was balls out or a no go. I told my co-pi to hang on, backed up and gave it hell. I had my back tires almost all the way up and everything went sideways. I kept on it to try and make it but slammed into a tree first. It broke my window, creased the interior panel, and popped the door open. It was creased so bad that the latch wouldn't even reach the striker anymore. Soooo...I hooked up the winch, and removed the door at the top of the hill. The trail remains un-named.

[​IMG]

The aftermath:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a little bit of new bling on the front of the tow rig courtesy of Black Mesa Offroad. They once again came through with a great price, fast shipping, and awesome overall service. I'll do a small writeup on the wiring over Thanksgiving break.

[​IMG]

The rest of the pics I currently have are located here. There were a couple guys taking pictures of my rig so I'll probably have more in a couple of days if you want to see them.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

AWSOME. :bow: I have something else to live vicariously through :p:

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nice, I see another opportunity for photo chop.

4. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)

Me too! I live thru a little 200cc honda ATV :(

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Awesome! Hope mine and dontoe's foray to Tellico this weekend is just as good! What was the guy in the Subaru thinking? Just that he was going to run the mild, mild 'for stockers' stuff, or was he thinking 'I've got AWD, I can go where the big-tired Jeeps are going.'?

6. mikey_d05

Well, the trails out there are WAY easier when it's dry. He could have had a good time had the snow not have melted. Most of use were sideways half the day and if I hadn't been running boggers I'd have been screwed. I have mixed emotions about it, he wasn't really prepared for recovery but he was a nice enough guy. Eh well, his car wasn't nearly as heavy as his g/f's dad's Rubicon that I winched all the way up the same hill. :rolleyes:

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Maybe he learned a lesson to bring something bigger, like a real truck, next time.

Ever since I joined this place, I've been wanting to get a solid-axle GM truck as my next vehicle when I go back to work, so I can finally have a vehicle to chat with y'all about. Think I'll start looking for a 6.2 diesel-powered K10 or K20 so I can then convert it to running veggie in my spare time.

8. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

9. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    LOL the BMW X5 I had made it thru more than that suburu, makes me feel less stupid.

aduff nice k5 in sig, i wen and inverted it to see the real thing lol

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Yeah, what was the reason for neggin' it like that? Just to be different?

11. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

yea, i think it looks cool and different. plus ihit save changes on accident. :D

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I saw you pulling westbound on I-94 at about 8:30. I was heading the other way through Hudson. Is this place a private farm or something? I live about 20 minutes from Hudson - and haven't been wheeling in over a year since I moved here. :crazy:

13. mikey_d05

I would have said yeah, that was me, but that's pretty obvious because it's kinda hard to mistake my rig for anything else. :crazy:

Yeah, it's a private place and he usually doesn't have very many rigs out because it isn't all that big. Honestly, if you aren't gunning for body damage, I'd stay away. Most of it can be be avoided but some of it was neccessary just to get around. My opinion might change if I go out there when it's dry but it was pretty wicked on Saturday.

Oh yeah, and the dovetail out there was key. If the rear wasn't narrowed It would have been a way tougher day.

14. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cool pics, and nice body damage as well! You plannin' on getting more body damage in the future?

15. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

doors are over rated :D

16. Ten_Bucks

You got that right!

17. mikey_d05

Actually (at the risk of being banished from CK5) I'm thinking of pulling the drivetrain and axles at the end of next summer and putting together a 'Yota truggy.

The trails around here are just too tight to really have a full-size body last.

18. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

what .......wowza

19. Ten_Bucks

Blasphemy!! I say keep the fullsize rig and just bash the living snot out of the body on the trails.

20. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Theres no stopping mike... its either tube or toy ive tried to talk it out of him before, just wont happen :wink1: Atleast its heart will be blazer :haha: