Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling Report: Christmas Tree Run '06. (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 10, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

had a real good time yesterday. went out with a local group of guys to Mt. Hood to do some snow wheeling and to get christmas trees. i was one of 2 fullsize rigs - another guy had a cool one ton diesel ford. there was a mix of jeeps, a sammy, and a couple of absolutely kick ass toyotas.

when we all met up, the group leader had his dog, so while everyone was airing down my wife threw a stick for the dog. cool pup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we got up into the snow, and it got pretty deep pretty quick. no one really made it all that far once we got to the fresh stuff. did a ton of digging yesterday...

this guy had a cool ford... cool guy too. he headed up the group.
    [​IMG]

this jeep guy irritated the hell out of me. (story below the pic)
    [​IMG]
    he was nice, but thought way too highly of his vehicle and definitely was not skilled enough to know how to use the machine he bought. i think it was a real image thing. we were in a parking lot, and he wasn't paying attention and he slammed into the back of another wheeler's trailer. he flipped out, jumps out and goes to pick up his $12000 off-road lamp. jumps back in his truck and we go to this other parking lot where he starts showing everyone what he did. he's all upset because he's got these two almost invisible dents on his bumper - apparently the bumper isn't for bumping, but for oogling and making him look tough. then i notice that everything has a brand sticker on it, talk about a freaking advertisement for some jeep magazine! :rolleyes: must have cost him a fortune.

so he buries his truck (pic above) in the first 20-30 seconds we actually get into the new snow. i casually mention to him that his day doesn't seem to be starting out too well, since he's stuck and has already mashed his truck on someone elses stuff. then he says something to the effect of, "well, notice that everyone else is on the tracks of other people, i'm the only person out here!" i'm thinking, "no sh*t, dude, so you're the jackass that's slowing us down because you wanted to not drive on teh tracks so you could attempt to impress us with your vast aptitude of skill?" dumb.

then he airs down his tires some more - only, to him, this means let all the air out of your tires and after many people tell him his tires are totally flat, he decides to freak out. don't worry, he's purchased the whole OBA kit. :wink1: someone needs to spend some of his money on lessons on driving smart.

anyway, here's some more cool pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so, all these little rigs were trying to blaze the trail, but it seemed the full size rigs were just better at doing that for whatever reason, so i pulled up to start pushing thru some snow and was doing real well, until i heard a pop and a couple bangs. jump out, and what do i find under my truck...
    [​IMG]
    front driveshaft all done. so, i was done for the day. had a bit of trouble getting out of the deep stuff w/ just 2wd, but it was ok.

so i spent the rest of the time helping others dig.
    [​IMG]
    the guy who owns this toyota was super cool. really helpful dude.

it was getting late, only a couple hours till dark and we start lining up to caravan out of the snow when along come some very intelligent drivers with well equipped rigs. :rolleyes: it's a one lane trail. just a bunch of stock rigs w/ street tires getting stuck every 2 feet. really pissed me off. what kind of idiot drives up into the snow that deep being that close to getting dark, just to start their trip. some of these were newer IFS ford f150s, a toyota seqouia and then there was my favorite guy.

wish i had pics of him. he's just got this stock mid-90's 2 door tahoe (maybe it was an IFS fullsize blazer - never looked). he's got chains on his tires, but he's so brilliant, he put them on his rear tires. he's also stuck deep in the snow we need to travel over to get out. at this point, i'm feeling like our group shouldn't be responsible for people being stupid, so we shouldn't stick around to pull everone out. there's enough people there, we wouldn't be leaving people behind alone - just a bunch of stupid people together.

anyway, i tell him that next time he needs his chains on the front. he says, "no i shouldn't. i've got a locker in the rear!" i told him he can't steer because he's got no traction on his front tires, he tells me he can steer because he's got a posi in the rear. :rolleyes: i tell him its not a full locker, he tells me it is. i say, "dude, look at your vehicle, your tires are turned to full lock, and everytime you move, you slide forward, you're not turning! only one of your back tires is spinning. you don't have a locker!" i refrained, but i really wanted to rip the guy up for being so dumb. so one of our rigs hooked up to him (the white toyota pictured above) to pull him out. then one of the people with this jackass complains to me and asks why the ford doesn't pull him out, as the ford would clearly be heavier and thus it should help. i really wanted to rip into this bastard, but instead i told him that the problem here was not OUR vehicles and he should take what he can get. I also told him that this was ****ing rediculous.

There have been 3 families in the oregon mountains in the last month that have been stuck in the snow, one resulting in a death. so i'm a bit raw about people being dumbasses up there.

anyway, on to some more pics. i know, this is becoming a book, i'm almost done tho, bear with me.

so, we got back down in 2wd just fine, and found a tree. here's some final shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think he's got more body flex than suspension! :)
    [​IMG]

that evening we had a christmas tree decorating party, and had a rockin time. :D all in a good day. i'm freaking tired and sore now tho.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jeep guys are still morons, people are still assholes, fullsizes still rock, your wife is still good lookin'...yep...all is well in the world. ;)

3. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

looks like you had a blast
    need more pics of the hot chick

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

im so jelious of all u guys getting to go wheeling to get an xmas tree. and... your wife is verrry beautiful, lucky guy. awesome time it seems like!

5. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

more pics of truck wheeling or wife. that is all. :P

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Snow trip - minus the trees

Colby - I ran the Christmas tree idea by my wife who said "No way am I getting one of those spindly things from the woods". Guess it's off to the tree farm for us next weekend when my daughter gets home from college. :(

How about a "Because it's there" snow run after the first of the year? Would love to get a bunch of K5 folks together and go play somewhere - perhaps the Santiam area so it's central but would do Mt. Hood if you can get some of the Washington crowd to play.

BTW, would you be interested in a stock bumper with skirt minus the turn signal cutouts? I just took this off my Blazer yesterday when I was putting on the winch bumper.

Winch 1.JPG

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Cool pics...

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

damn, another member from Springfield. i hope i get to go back next fall.

9. colbystephens

i'll have to show you a pic of our tree now, it actually looks really good. i didn't think i'd like it, but i couldn't come back w/ out a tree. :)

i'm not sure i'm too interested in a snow trip again. i didn't find it that exciting, a ton of digging, and we didn't really get very far. maybe if i were running a 60, a locker and 42's, but like i am, i don't know. i'm thinking maybe i'll just do it once a year for a tree. we had a good time, but for me, 60% of the excitement is seeing creation, so if i'm stuck in one place for hours digging snow so i can get 10 vehicles another 15' forward... not my thing. :)

not interested in the bumper. nothing with a skirt is ever on my vehicle, except that super hot girl in the first pic. ;) i'm looking to get rid of that '82 bumper, but i need a kickass tubed bumper first. :)

i have this plan to build a bumper with a real conservative stinger. the bumper would have a winch mount under the radiator, but the winch would be mounted to a place w/ a stinger and under the radiator would be a reciever for the winch. this way i could take it out easily and put it out back if needed. it could also lock up under there for safekeeping and to hide it away/increase approach angle. :D

we should wheel when i get back from az tho, after the first of the year.

10. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I can grove on the tube bumper. I've seen some sweet custom tube jobs with winch and light mounts. I'm planning to fab a square tube bumper for the back end of my rig in my spare (HA) time. Planning to have a mount for my hijack and tow points.

Thanks for the lesson of NOT putting pictures of the wife or daughter on less the lechers lust. Err, the pervs - oh never mind :crazy:

If the snow is out, how about a decent trail run? Most of us are running 33's or 35's it seems so extreme mudding is out, but it would be fun to have a line of 10 or so Blazers headed out. Oh, and no store bought jeeps...

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just wish there were a few more 4x4 fullsize guys local that arn't big into drugs to go wheeling with, lol

I'm thinkin of picking up a K5 to build with a buddy soley for wheeling, but I'm hesitating cause there really isn't many places left to wheel in Alberta, and where you do go, there are way too many people, and most of them are high on drugs, or are drunk as a sailor, and not particularly people you wanna be hanging out with :(

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

perfectly worded

13. colbystephens

i'd love a good trail run... that's my thing. mud bogging doesn't interest me, so a trail run would be PERFECT. in all honesty, you'll probably have a helluva time finding 10 blazer guys to go with you. i cant seem to get anyone from ck5 around here to go with me. i've wheeled with a couple of them, but it just doesn't happen often. i think the guys in your part of the state wheel more than those in mine tho...

14. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

As a rule I never bash any wheeler or their rigs, but this is a prime example why I HATE MUDDIN' or any other type of wheelin' with Jeeps. IMHO, for rocks they're great, but for anything else, they SUCK WEENIES! Nothing's worse than a day of MUD and always stopping every frickin' 10 feet to yank a JEEP. Waste of a good MUD day.

What's worse, is that the majority of their owners have real attitude problems. As if their crap don't stink!

But let me say, I've seen some built up Jeeps that really perform and have met some great wheelers with great helpful attitudes. So good Jeepers are out there. Wish everyone in that community was like them.

Sorry the dude ruined your time. Looks like a lot of fun!

Manny

15. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Dude, what an excellent run. Ours was a lot less snow and a lot more standing around. I was disappointed. So if you organize another run after the first of the year. I will do my best to be there. I have a buddy who will wheel ANY TIME he can find someone to wheel with. I might even get the "other" burb going for that run. I was way to worried about trail damage to have any real fun on our run.

EXCELLENT PICS... and and also... Your right, I am jealous.

16. colbystephens

:D.

17. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Digging? You just need to hit the snow banks harder. :D

Also, on the Jeep thing. The most organized and well kept forum in MN is a Jeep one. There are good and bad, a lot of bolt on snobs and a few guys like you and I. I won't go wheeling with the bolt on snobs anymore and if I do, I have a buddy or two going with me that I know isn't one. If it gets stupid, we split off and do our own thing. Before my truck got stripped it was a pretty capable rig and I have a friend that runs a 'Yota mini that carries every spare part and tool under the sun. Between the two of us there was almost nothing we didn't feel comfortable tackling together. Find a friend like that and stick together.

18. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Pester me when you get back from AZ. We can cajole, harp whine or otherwise try to get a good number of us together and go play - perhaps for a weekend as it makes more sense to do 2 days worth of wheeling if you have to travel due to the cost of fuel these days. Hope to fix the transfer case leak and replace the rear locker over the break (EZ lockers are cheap, but they do wear out) and be ready to wheel. I can even take the RV and tow the blazer if there is a place to camp. Think about trails worth running and let me know. I'll do a member search and see who we can hound up.

Rick

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Well i guess thats what happens when you dont remove the snap rings and push a u joint out anyways...:crazy:

20. colbystephens

you would think so, but the part that broke wasn't the part which had that load. dunno. got it all taken care of today tho.