Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling soon? 14-15?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Sep 4, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My father is in from out of town and wanted to go out a play a little. I've got some work to do to my rig (nothing major) but I thought maybe a morning run on the 14th or 15th? Maybe Table Mesa or Florence Junction? Something that won't take over 4 hours or so but offers some cool challenges without being killer. Something along the lines of Terminator maybe? Any suggestions? Any takers who know the way interested? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. FWP

FWP CRS

The 14th is good for me- Terminator-yum /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Let's do it. I'll be down in BCC today to see Shawn and Matt, I'll give em a heads up.

3. BadDog

Thanks, I was planning to call them today... Since we did Term not too long ago, maybe they know some other similar trails up that way???

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Russ,I might be able to make it.I'll have the rear welded(thanks Marv!),and the lock-rite in the front.Table Mesa or??What about White Tanks?I never been there,but it looks awesome.Saturday works for me?C'mon let's this going!Mike

5. BadDog

Never heard of White Tanks. My main concern is to find something we interesting that we can run and finish before lunch. He's not from here and the heat really gets to him. I would also like to see some cool obstacles so he can have some fun without getting too shook up and with a relatively low opportunity to get hung up with busted or stuck rigs (mine or any other). Beyond those criteria, I'm up for most anything. I think Keith is going to join us in his TJ. He seems to know most all the trails around so maybe he can make suggestions/comments. He can no longer post in here so (Keith, if your reading) he can PM me and I'll post it...

6. FWP

FWP CRS

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My main concern is to find something we interesting that we can run and finish before lunch. He's not from here and the heat really gets to him. I would also like to see some cool obstacles so he can have some fun without getting too shook up and with a relatively low opportunity to get hung up with busted or stuck rigs (mine or any other).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like "lower raw deal" which has an easy way out, but upper is harder, with only one way out, once your in upper you're in for the whole thing IIRC.

7. BadDog

Hmm, that might be cool. At least it's one I haven't seen yet...

8. FWP

FWP CRS

I'd rate lower at a 2.5 and upper at a 3 or 3.5. Others might disagree with my assesment. It's really close to the freeway, and there are quite a few alternate lines, which makes it different every time I run it. One of my favorite fun trails, and it's pretty short. I think the last time we ran it, it took 4 of us about 2 hours, with playing around time and trying to add limiting straps /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif to Crusarius' rig.

9. BadDog

Hmm, any cool stuff so I can stretch out my rig a little? He wanted to see it in action. Sounds like it might be a little mild, but then you know my preferences... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. FWP

FWP CRS

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hmm, any cool stuff so I can stretch out my rig a little?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, ask Matt, I'm pretty sure there are /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What would be the minimum requirements to run Lower Raw Deal? Is there a tire size minimum? Like can 32's make it? I do have 4.56's &amp; lockers now though. Would this be a good trail to learn about my new lockers &amp; gear ratio?

How would the trail we ran in January compare to the Lower Raw Deal?

Harley

12. FWP

FWP CRS

You bet Harley, you could do it easy. There's lots of ways around if you don't like what you see. It would be a good test trail for you I think. Plus I could bring you your headers /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif The trail in Jan? I don't remember- what was that?

13. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

The trail we ran in Jan was the one in the river bed(FR 18). You were driving the yellow truck, Doug bent his antenna, and I blew a tranny cooler line... Now do you remember?

I have to work 7 days a week right now, but I will try to make it after work(I get off at 6:00Am). Table Mesa Trails will work better for me than Florence Junction(it's closer to work).

14. BadDog

Hey, got an update on the outing next weekend. Keith (crusarius – red TJ) also has a friend coming in from NY who wants to go wheeling next weekend too. After talking with my Father and Keith's friend, they both would rather do a harder trail. My father specifically wants to see some of the stuff like in my Helldorado pics, and Keith's friend is a wheeler who wants to see some of the infamous AZ trails. My son also wants a chance to drive some tough obstacles, though I don’t know if I like that at all… /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Guess I’m due for a few more gray hairs…

Soooo, looks like we need to organize 2 runs. One moderate (maybe lower Raw Deal as was suggested) or something similar. Keith and I are going to be looking at 1 or maybe 2 tough trails that are relatively short and close together. Something we can run and get out of by noon or not long after. My father and Keith's NY friend are not going to be able to stand much of the mid-day AZ heat so we've got to keep it moving. Keeping things moving will also help to give these guys a good experience. No offense to anyone but, in the interest of time (and *trying* to make sure we don’t get stuck for hours with broken trucks) we are going to have to keep the number of trucks (and their capability) in mind for those on that run. The trails we are looking at are pretty much going to require lockers at both ends with a high probability of body damage up to and including rolling (so cages required).

So, I’ll be working with Keith (since we both have visitors to entertain) to iron out details of the “difficult” trail as the week progresses. It definitely sounds like there is a significant interest in a moderate run next weekend too so maybe someone can step up to organize that group as well. Any takers?

15. BadDog

BTW, looks like plans may change due to weather. I was just talking to Marv and, as he mentioned, any trail get much harder if there are water pools around. Climbing a small waterfall can be a real challenge if there is a pool of water to cross first. Remember that little speed bump of a waterfall that gave some much trouble to some (including me, open in the front at the time) on Ajax last fall? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif If it continues to rain through the week, most of the non-trivial (aka fire road) trails will be all but impassable without lockers. And the difficult trails may be impassable for all of us. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif But, not complaining about the rain, nope, not a bit. I almost hope it continues THROUGH the week end. We need it, bad... So, we will wait and see... May need to schedule for the following week end, though it may cause some trouble for our visitors...

16. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Russ,I'm out for this coming weekend...did'nt get the lockers installed.I'll see about this weekend,but I'm still out for the 14/15th.Mike

17. BadDog

Good luck on the lockers. If it's not in pieces, you could probably hook up this week end with some of the guys talking about Lower Raw Deal... Assuming we don't all get rained out...