Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeling the Whitetanks

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Anyone here ever wheel the whitetanks and have any interest in wheeling out there. Just wondering. I haven't been on many of the trails at Florence or TM but I was wondering why we never wheel the whitetanks. I have seen some trails that are rated pretty hard and it might be a changeup for some of you guys that have wheeled everything there is to wheel. Just thinking out loud.

Harley

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you think I can do these trails with locker and 33's . I will want to wheel it with ya' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Show me the way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I'm probably headed out to the white tanks sat.
    I can get through the first trail [ Appetizer ] sp?
    easy enough, and you guys know stock my blazer is so far.
    Then the trails get progressive worse, and body damage is be expected. But you guys have surprised the hell out of me before and got me through some tough stuff. The trails are not as long as raw deal so after you had your limit there is an exit nearby. And if you have kids and dirt bikes, there are some sand piles nearby for them to play on.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I will run it, just say when,,, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Hossbaby50

I am not going to be back into wheeling shape for a little while. My ball joints are shot and I can't replace them until I get all my parts together and am ready to swap in the crossover steering. I am looking at 2-3 weeks minimum until wheeling is an option again. I was just wondering because I never hear anything about the white tanks from anyone on here.

Harley

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Hey mine are shot too, bring it on over, we'll have a ball joint party,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifthat didn't sound right /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    anyways, yeah i went through FR42 with popping and creaking ball joints, i really need to get those things fixed someday soon. 2-3 weeks would probably do it for me anyways, give me time to get the cash up for fuel, food, drinks and so on. Keep us informed. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are the lower and upper ball joints the same? You have 2 axles with bad lowers and ok uppers, nah just kidding get new ones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Hossbaby50

Mine is going to me alot more involved then ball joints. I will have to do this one at home. I have to convert to crossover steering when I put my new knuckles on since the new knuckles are only drilled for the crossover steering and not stock Chevy driverside steering. So when I do the ball joints I will have to go all the way. So I will have to measure and have my draglink cut, welded. Install the 2wd sector shaft in my steering box, install the new steering arm & pitman arm.

Then on top of that I am going to have to pull my steering box, stop drill some cracks, weld those cracks, and then weld on a steering box reinforcement plate. So I don't think this will be a 1 day affair. It will probably be 2 days at the least, maybe more depending on the problems I run into.

Harley

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Damn...used to call them my back yard...i've even driven the 79 up that white road that seems to go straight up on the cat property...hehehe. God i miss those mountains...

DW

10. Hossbaby50

You got any places on the net that have maps or directions you would like to share? Thanks

Harley

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well...it won't do you any good now that you are there but i have all the USGS laminated topos of that entire area...
    Allways entered from Miller road exit off I-10...there are other ways but its all in my head...buddy from the board lives near 107th ave...Lil Dave...Robzilla has met him before...i'll dig up his handle here on CK5 as we don't pm each other...call each other twicew a week at least...lol. He knows the area rather well also..

DW