Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheeling with your top off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Apr 3, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

so how many of you wheel with your top off? Do you have any door or body alignment problems afterwards. Just curious I took the top off and was going over a curb and watched the entire back half flex. Was wondering under prolong play anything become twisted?

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

When at all possible I take the top off. I just bought another top that is in excellent condition for $100 and don't want to ruin it. My top has cracks all over because of the large amount of body flex. The top still goes back on and seals halfway decent though. With the top off the body will flex so much the doors won't open. Of course that's on a full convertible, not sure how the newer half tops flex. I have tweaked the rear cause the tailgate latch catch had to have washers added so it will catch the latch.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

A roll bar might help some.They can be build fairly cheap.
    Might save you to.The fiberglass tops explode on impact anyways.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I just re-installed my top after a weekend of hardcore flexin. I had no problem lining up the top. Be sure to loosely install all bolts, then pull front tight first. Then tighten the rear bolts. I would also possibly roll up the rear window before tightnening the rear bolts.

I flexed my rig so much, the cab top was popping. I found out, I need to trim my front fenders some more too. I was worried about my top not fitting because at one time, I had the Blazer twisted up in a crevase and one side of the tailgate was starting to come unlatched. I am going to install a truck tailgate soon and brace the rear to the roll bar. That should help alot. I would consider my rigs Body pretty tweaked, I have ripples everywhere from wheeling. Just part of it when you want to play with the Big Dogs. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The only time I had problems reinstalling my shell was after I laid it on the side and then went home and tried to put the shell on for the next week. used a come-a-long and a tree to pull the body a little bit and tried the shell again and no problems. Went wheeling again the next weekend without the shell(afraid it might braek) and went to put it back on with no problems.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I prefer to wheel without my top! I can see better and the view is much better at night! Full convertable is awsome. I think my soft top seals better anyway. One time I stored the top leaning against the garage wall for two yrs. The when I had to move put it back on and the damn thing don't line up no more. So if you do what to keep it from warping lay it flat on the rails! My top is going to be my wife's new flower pot! [​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

7. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I bought a full convertable Blazer so I could wheel with an open top. I get my truck pretty twisted up but I've always had the full cage. I think this helps with the body flex because no matter how twisted my truck is I can still open both doors and my tailgate doesn't pop open while twisted. My hardtop always bolted back up with no problems when I was using it.
    CB

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Same goes for me. My 74 Full convertible is awesome with the top off. I get lots of body flex, especially with 3" Body lift. My tailgate always pops open, so I just strap it shut and it fixed that. I have never had a problem with the top not fitting back on though. I ruined my first top from wheeling too hard with it, cracked the crap out of it. My second top is getting there so no more wheeling with it on. I would like to find a soft top, but cant afford lots of money for it. any ideas? thanks

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

For a budjet soft top you could do what Thumper did!
    We talked about that here last week I think it was.
    look in the back post about a weeek ago!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Dan, with my half top (79 like yours) usually keep the top off most of the summer and have wheeled it moderately with never a problem. No, I am not a hardcore ANYMORE like some of these guys [​IMG], but in past years did some carazzzy things with my 72, 75, and my first 79......and no problems. Used to live in AZ for 8 years, and had the top off almost year round, always sealed back up. Yes, the amount of flex makes you think "how does the top never crack?", but I think going topless actually allows more articulation. The top, though fiberglass, seems to add rigidity.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Here's what I'm doing to cut costs a little. I'm going to take the top off in about a month and instead of getting a soft top, I'm going to use a bikini top from a CJ-7. I've got a rollcage in the back that it will attach too, just like in the Jeeps. It takes about 2 seconds to take off and on, its cheap and with it on and the windows up its not too bad on a rainy night.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well since my vehicle is stored inside I could just take the top off and put it in the rafters. I just worry about theft in parking lots when I drive it on the weekends. But yes im only a half top but it still fun to not have it.

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

My top is off for the entire summer, and I run the soft top and love it. My half roof pops constantly even with the top on, the truck is a little looser than stock I guess! Everything still bolts on and the doors still close perfectly so no ill effects yet.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're really paranoid about having problems you could fab 2 or 3 bars to cross the bed area and bolt to each side rail. This would add some rigidity back but still give a little more flex as its not tied into the cab. You could also use them to strap some of the cargo in. I think I'll go make some.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>