Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheeloff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snowman1000, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

A friend at school was trashin on the blazer so he challenged me to a little competition my blazer versus his Gmc First things first im going to need a lift maybe some blocks or somthing and how would I go about either making a set of my own blocks make block out of 1/8 in plate and weld it together and a set of fresh set of u-bolts perhaps I will check with the local junkyard for a set of springs Also would a decent set of all terrains be able to handle some snow / mud this shouldnt be too hardcore offroading just more a little weekend cornfeild action Ideas.

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Ok well first things first...

Building your own lift blocks... I suppose you could do this, but my question is why would you do this? You can go to the local parts store and get lift blocks cheap and U-bolts also. And just in case you were planning to... DON'T PUT BLOCKS IN THE FRONT!!!

You did not state what size tire you are planning to run so it's hard to recommend any combination of parts for your lift. But you did say that you want to do a little snow and mud. Since you are in Michigan I am going to assume deep snow and deep mud. I suppose a set of 35" tires would be a nice balance between expense and size. An AT tire will do ok in mud and snow, but you really should consider a traction or MT tire. Swampers are Cheap and work good, while things like BFG's are more expensive but last longer during on-road driving.

If you are going to life then you should do springs in the front and you can do blocks in the rear. Don't be cheap and dangerous. The rest of us have to drive on the same roads you are driving on and we hope you have a safe vehicle.

If you have more specific questions go ahead and post them here and we will try to help.

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Lift springs for the front and a shackle for the rear.

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

What kind of truck does your buddy wheel??

5. Chrisblazzer89

^^^^what he said^^^

6. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

x2
    and x2 on the 35"s
    I wouldnt make your own blocks unless you really have mad skills like that to make it safe enough. Or you could always buy my 4 inch blocks so I can go to a shackle flip :D

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me that if you need to add lift, get tires, etc your buddy might have had some room to knock your blazer..... I will assume your rig is stock for now and that you don't really have a lot of money to mod it properly. Here is what I would do, lunch box locker in the rear diff and put snow chains on. If ya'll are running close to the same tire and just want to go tear up a field this should give you more than enough advantage

8. Chrisblazzer89

Or you could buy my rear lift springs and send me your stock springs so I can go with a shackle flip in the rear:D

9. Snowman1000

I know that yeah it probally would be a bad idea to make my own blocks definetly wont didnt think it through all the way weigh out all the posibilities and yes I dont have a whole lot of money nor do I think that it would be worth putting the money into this truck it is to say the least rusted what is this shackle flip and no you probally dont want these springs they are just about one of the last reasons i dont drive this truck much front ones are completly flat and starting to arc the wrong way and the rears arent much better probally would se a performance increase in a set from the junkyard and I dont mean to sound like I would sacrifice safety for cost I have seen it happen too many times were somthing like that has ended up costing the person more than it would have to do it right the first time in repairs. and I want to say that it a early 90's Gmc 1500 5.0 pretty much stock except for a small suspension lift and a set of tires I am currently looking for a used set of swampers might have a pair with about 50 % tread left he would give me for free dont fit his new truck.

10. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

You could also disconnect your sway bar to get a little extra articulation. If you don't want to get the disconnect kit you could just take it off and put it back on after you and your buddy's competition.

11. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

or you can put a pair of stock rear springs in the front and you get i think 4" of lift, or so ive heard.

12. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

if your blazer is just an old beater farm truck or something and you don't really DD it and you have rust issues forget suspension and cut the fenders to make room for tires and lock the rear axle.

13. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Naw dont like them weld it front and rear.

14. Snowman1000

to be honest the wheelwells in the front are just about gone and I heard that you could put a set of rear springs on the front and it would lift it and then if I did that I would have to level it with the rear. Yeah this truck isnt in good shape but I still like it im not quite to the point were im hack the crap out of for this stupid little boast that probally wont happen becasue my buddys a panzy. How involved would putting a set of rear springs in the front and a set of blocks in the back or somthing to level it out I would like to keep this truck somewhat intact becasue yeah the body is rough but I really cant complain about it too much the engine runs good the trans and transfer case work and it has been a lot of fun and I would like to keep the fun going and the insurance is just about to expire so I will have a few months of downtime to do some work not in a rush

15. iwaxmyjimmy

1st question:
    Do you have any fabrication skills(ie. welding, metal forming), and access to tools used in the trade?

2nd question:
    Is this your daily driver?

3rd question:
    Does it have manual locking hubs up front?

16. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Personally I think you should spend a little more time in school so you can learn punctuation, how to capitalize, etc.

If you are just trying to win a bet with a buddy over wheelin and dont have much money, you could weld the rear gears and find some cheap A/T tires or mud tires at a tire shop, maybe someone upgraded when they still had a little life left on the old ones. Also if you already have a lot of cancer (rust) on the truck, sawzall the fenders so you can put bigger tires on it. The trucks are pretty common in junkyards so take a trip and scavenge all you can out of one.

17. Snowman1000

Yes, I have a metal shop class one hour a day and Ive been taking it for tree years so yes I probably could do it second no its not my daily driver,third yes it has locking front hubs and what do you mean by weld the axles together? Personally I think if you don't like the way I spell or punctuate don't read my posts sorry for not proofreading my Internet posts, really I dont care.

18. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

YOU may not care, but if something you type isnt easy to read or it doesnt make sense how can you expect someone to help you? Most people can deal with not capitalizing and some messed up spelling but when you type 1 long sentence composed of a dozen different parts it doesnt make any sense. This isnt english class, JUST MAKE SENTENCES!

Welding gears: Your rear end is probably open, which means you have 1 tire on mud, one on pavement, the rear end basically sends all your power to the point of least resistance.....The one with no traction, which isnt helpful. With a posi, locker, or welded gears, you get power to both wheels. Welding the gears is the cheap way but its hard on your driveline on the street, especially when turning. All you have to do is pull the diff cover, let all the oil drain into a pan, clean the spider gears, which will be right in front of your face, and weld them. This will keep them spinning the same speed instead of one side unloading. Put some RTV on the cover and stick it back on and put new gear oil in it.

19. Snowman1000

Alright thank you, I just dont know if I want to take the welder to the rear end like that I really dont know I would rather try and do somthing a little more reversable. I think that welding the axels might cause some reliability problems. Is there any other way without spending big$$ on a new rear end.

20. iwaxmyjimmy

lock-rights front and rear