Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels - 16.5 / 6 lug?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mreetz, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Is there such a thing? Are there adapters you can buy?
    Thanks!!

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

We are talking about 6x5.50 right? Yep, there are several companies that make 16.5 wheels for this bolt pattern. I don't know them all, but you might want to start with Weld and Elite who have 'em for sure. Hope this helps...

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Is that the pattern for a chevy 6 lug, then you bet.
    I'd like to get a set of them. Are they hard to find?

4. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, 6x5.50 is the bolt pattern you need. I wouldn't say these wheels are hard to find, but the selection is not going to be as vast as it would be for say a 15" wheel. Check out the websites of the major manufacturers, starting with Weld, who I know makes them.

5. carguy64744

carguy64744 Newbie

i am looking for a set of these and have only found one company so far who make them search for rock crawler wheels they are series 51 that is the only ones i have found so far if anyone else finds any others i would like to know

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Check eBay and type in "weld racing". There should be a few on there.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

had some!..

I recently sold a set of 16.5" - 6 lug factory rims I used on my 72 K5--they were off a K1500 GMC pickup,1970 vintage..I had to use some aluminum spacers so the rims wouldn't rub on the calipers,since they were intended for drum brake trucks originally..

I've seen many car trailers with 6 lug 16.5" rims--maybe a trailer supply place will have rugged steel versions for reasonable money..they will probably be "skinny" though,as trailers usually use narrow rims about 5-6" wide..also make sure the center hole will be large enough to fit over your hubs..:crazy:

8. carguy64744

carguy64744 Newbie

trailer wheels are to narrow i found alot of stock 8 lug but no 6 lug just need a 16.5x10 6 lug

9. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

10. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

11. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

quick question, why do you want 16.5s? I got mine cause the tires I got for them were cheap, and the wheels I got from a member here for cheap and needed them to go 8 lug. when the air pressure gets low enough the tire will fall off the bead and I dont like that but it was the cheap solution at the time and I will either buy 15s or beadlocks when the money comes around. not trying to presuade you against them I just dont believe they are very good offroading rims.

12. carguy64744

carguy64744 Newbie

i had 16.5 tires on my last truck and still have a couple good sets from it i like the tires and would like to keep using them i have never had problems with them yet and i get the tires cheap i eventually want to get some beadlocks but one thing at a time

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had some Krager 6-lug 16.5x9.75 wheels, but I sold them because I prefered the tire selection and bead retainment of 15's. I know that there were a few sources for steel replacements back then. They are definately more common in 8-lug, but many wheel manufacturers still offer them in 6-lug.

The thing that makes me think about 16.5's again is that Hy-tec retreading offers 37" hummer retreads for cheap.

Before you buy some 6-lug wheels, make sure a set of 8-lug axles isn't in your future.

14. carguy64744

carguy64744 Newbie

8 lug axle would be nice swaping in a solid axle aint cheap so that will be in the future i need tires know i have a set of 16.5 can usually find then descent priced can get wheels cheaper than buying new tires i think i will just get a set of steel wheels for know

15. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you could get some hummer beadlocks and recenter them with 6 lug centers. then you'd have what you want and wouldnt have to worry about losing a bead. I plan on getting some cause they are pretty cheap but Im already 8 lug so Ill have to use 8 lug centers.