Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheels a shakin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigdaddy89, Aug 12, 2000.

1. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

About a month an a half ago I damaged one of my front stabilizers. I have been running duals for about four years now. Well at first I didn't notice any difference when I hit any bumps. Well after a couple weeks the front wheels would jerk a little back and forth when I hit a bump. Now it has gotten really bad. I can drive it at high speeds, but if I hit a bump between 10-35 mph the front wheels start to shake back and fourth so bad that I have to hit the brakes hard. I'm talking four to six inches back and forth. I took a look at my joints on the drag link and the joints at the ends of the link running back and fourth across the front of the truck, and they both look bad. Now before you say its the buggy spring I already checked. Its not moving a bit. I even have clamps on both sides. Does this sound like the joints? If I need to replace everything I might as well do the crossover. Has anybody come up with an easier way to set this up? I have done enough modifying lately to last me a while.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From what I understand the steering stabilizers are there for off-road, so the steering wheel does'nt break your thumbs. Your front-end and steering should perfrom normally on the hi-way even without steering stabilizers, most steering stabilizers actually do a good job of masking front-end problems until they become very bad. This happened to my buddy's 79 4x4 van. His steering components were so worn out, but it did'nt become obvious until the stabilizers were also worn out, then it did the violent shake thing so bad he almost had a heart failure. [​IMG]

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I don't think it's worn out tierod or draglink ends, or even balljoints. I ran 35's on a D44 front for a few years, no problem w/o ANY stabilizers (came w/o, and it worked so well i had no need). Now with my D60 swapped in, it does exactly that you describe. It gets really bad when I put the much heavier boggers on. It only happens 10-35 MPH, when a bump is hit just right. I have to almost stop! I will be installing a dual stabilizer setup soon, which cured a *new* (at the time) F350 with the same problem. Please let me know what you do!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Has anybody done the crossover steering on a 10 bolt. I think I am going to replace everything, so this would be a good time to do the crossover.