Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels and rubber- '72 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigOrange, Sep 21, 2001.

1. BigOrange

BigOrange Registered Member

Wheels and rubber- \'72 K5

The restore is coming along, but slow! Can't wait to get her on the road. Paint (Hugger Orange!) , moulding, grill etc should be done by next Friday and engine/trans/exhaust will start right after. While I am waiting for that I am looking at Wheels and tires. Any recomendations on how big I can go on the stock set up? Preferences on good off road rubber (but not mudders)? Seen any great wheels out there?

also...Anyone heard anything about the Can-back top for the 1st gens? I sent them an email today, but haven't heard anything? No the hardtop is never going back on.

I will have plenty of pics of the resto project soon. Will post ASAP!

Regards,
    BigO

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Re: Wheels and rubber- \'72 K5

with a stock setup i think you can put 32s under there. I had mine with 31x10.5 and looked nice with them, but i think 32s would fill in the well a bit more. 33x12.5s will hit the inner rear fender well if you flex a small bit, like geting a tire on the curb.

i am also restoring a 71 and have not decided to go stick or auto. it will be stock, no lift or anything and plan on fitting it 31x10.5 shoes on some ralley wheels painted the same color as the body.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis</a>

3. EricM

EricM Registered Member

I would recommend BFG AT's they are a sweet tire for anything but mud. I had 33x12.5's on my 72 jimmy in it's stock form and they rubbed in the rear.... but it was original springs and both sides in the rear had a broken leaf! I think they would be fine with new stock springs. They only were 31 plus change in actual hieght mounted on 15x8 rims. As far as rims I love the eagle 589's or the AR baja's they both look the same. The best way to tell what size will fit is to get out the tape measure. Flex the suspension and take some meaurements and remember actual tire height and advertised are often of by an inch or more in my case. I know run 36's with 5" lift with considerable trimming but now I want bigger tires funny how that works.

4. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

Go with the Super Swamper SSRs, the radial version of the Super Swamper. They are awesome on and off the road, even in the rain. They also look pretty mean.

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I've got 32x11.50-15s with 15"x10" rims on my Blazer (stock height). They fit OK, but the "fangs" at the front of the front wheel wells will contact new tires when the steering is turned just-so. Used tires won't hit and 32s won't hit if they're on 8" wheels.

6. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I'm running Big-O 33's on 15x8 rims and never had more than some very minor fender contact. But never enough to do any sheetmetel rearranging.

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!