Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels and Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, May 27, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I've read the tire fitting tables and I was wondering how bad that 33x12.50 tires would rub on a stock K5. My tires are bald as anything and it's time to buy some new ones and I'm gonna go BIGGER! =) Anyway, the tires will have to come before the lift or else I'll kill myself trying to stop in the rain one day. If I just drive it on the road will the tires rub? I'm just curious. If I had the money I'd do it all at once, but I'm just a POOR teenager. I'm sure everyone knows how it is/was. hehe. Thanks in advance!

-JoSH

Aaack! Almost forgot! What are your feelings on the Eagle 589 16" Alum wheels? Do they look sharp?

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. [​IMG] I want to do the same thing I thank they will fit if you have a porb with thr little rub you can trim the iner coner of your finder that is where it will rub . I thank [​IMG]

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

They only rub on my 88 at full turn and really deep rut turns but hasnt damaged anything.A 4" lift is set for next month hopefully.

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

what condition is the truck in??
    are you brave enough to cut the fenders??
    you could just get a 2 inch body lift and that wouldn t cost to much.

5. CrazeeBush

The truck is in fairly good condition. Reason I'm not springing for a lift is because I'm in the process of preparing it for painting. It has a small rust spot under passenger door and the floor board before the tailgate is starting to rust through (Cancer of the ass). Otherwise it's in great condition. Has a freshly rebuilt 305, kinda wish I had opted for the 350 for kicks but it's a strong motor. I'm just trying to get this thing together and since I need new tires anyway, why not get the ones I want on it in the end? =) If it'll only rub at steering lock on either side I could trim it or just deal with the fact that the turning radius is even worse.. =)

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

CB what do you mean worse turning radius ? every blazer ive ever driven turns great even my buddy's with 44's.

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I had my 33" BFG MT's on for a month before my lift was put in and they didn't rub at all during day to day driving. They only time they rubbed was if I was turning and hit a steep driveway (off camber turns) and they didn't rub that badly when they did hit. I never wheeled it with that setup though, so I would bet they would rub quite a bit on a really rough trail.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

8. CrazeeBush

Just got used to driving little cars I guess. I'll admit that it turn good for how big it is. I've never driven anything as big as my K5 so I have nothing to compare it to. It can get agrivating sometimes. Around here I'd swear the parking lots get smaller and smaller. All these stupid rice burners around here.

9. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

My friend's dad has an '85 short wheel base Chevy truck with 33's. It doesn't rub unless he turns really sharp and hits a bump. I have the 589's on my Jimmy. They are 15x10's, but they are no different than the 16's. If you would like to see them on my truck, just let me know and e-mail me @ BLzr4x4ngKID@aol.com. I have, I think, 3 or 4 pics. Let me know.

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)[​IMG]

10. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I went with 32's because I only have a 305 and even though it is a very strong engine and I have a 3.73 rearend I wanted it to stay strong. It has never rubbed even at full flex. One more thing to consider when getting big tires is how hard you wheel I know I use mine hard and I didn't want to put more stress on the steering box either, because they are knowen to separate from the frame.

11. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

On my 89 33's rubbed at full lock to the right side only.Also had 32's on it no rubbing. Wheel size also affects this.I had 15x8.5 wheels and 3.50 backspacing. My 87 has 32's and no rubbing both trucks stock.

12. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

How much $ are we talking here for bfg mt 33" and decent wheels to fit?

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

13. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

sounds like you're going to get a tire-and-wheel deal out of a magazine. 589's look cool on blazers.
    my '89 hasn't rubbed yet, and i have 33's with no ift. actually, i should say that i haven't heard them rub. they might on really sick trails, but by then, i don't care about a little tire rubbage, so i don't pay it no mind.
    i say get the 33's!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

About $1000 for wheels, tires, and the associated garbage. That's about the magazine ad average.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had an 87 blazer with a 2" add-a-leaf kit and my 33's still hit the fender. had them on 15x10 american racing wheels. was told the wouldn't hit with the lift. the rims made the difference, different offset then the factory rims.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I used to have an '87 K5 with the factory aluminum wheels. I ran 33-inch BFG AT's on it for 3 years, with no lift, and wheeled the wee out of it. The tires never touched the fenders. Wider wheels will make the tires rub the corners of the front fenders if you don't add a lift of some type. A bit of judicious work with a cutoff wheel or Sawzall can cure that. [​IMG]

HarryH3 - '75 K5

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Tell me about the poor teenager thing...Gas ain't exactly a bargain right now. Anyway, I don't see how 33s could fit with no lift since my 31s come very close to the fenders offroad at full flex. I guess they would fit on the street, but offroad is where the fun is at.

Brian

18. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Poor sucks, I called around one day looking for tires and a place had a used pair 50% tread for 30$ a piece 33X12.5X15 BFG A/T. They were in good shape. Maby try buying used until the cash starts to flow..then gas will be 10$ a gallon!

19. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I asked that of the local 4x4 cplace, 4 Wheel Drive Diversified, and they said to run 33.12.50's I would have to put in a 2" lift. So thursday I am getting high....2 " lift and 33's to replace stock springs and 31's...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1