Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels for 42" TSLs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 20, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wheels for 42\" TSLs

I finally got a set of 15/42x15 TSLs. Now I need 8 lug wheels. Currently, they have 6 lug 15x10 chrome wheels. I'm thinking of going to a narrower wheel to help keep the bead seated at very low pressures. What do you guys run (or that you have seen run) successfully? I don't have to worry about the center wear problem since it will see VERY few road miles, they will probably stay at around 10-12 psi most of the time.

So, what size wheel should I look for? Anyone got a set (cheap, I don't care what they look like) in Phoenix? If anyone in Phoenix needs these 6 lug 15x10 chrome wheels send me a PM. After all, this is not the "for sale" forum...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Re: Wheels for 42\" TSLs

How much lift are ya going with those meats?
    I am getting an 8" lift and have decided on 42" TSL's.
    i imagine that I will still have to trim the heck out of the fenders, but they are gacked anyway and trimming will only improve the looks.
    As for wheels a guy at work has 35x14.5 boggers on his EB and has them on 15x12 wheels. I have 15x10's now and a 15" wide tire would prolly fit ok. I imagine that it would sorta be like my old set up of 33x12.5's on 15x8's.
    but I do like the way that the 15x10" wheels worked out, so I will prolly get a set of 15x12" wheels to go with the 42's
    Watson's tire and wheel combo look killer but are prolly way more than I have to spend.
    $1500 for a set of 5 tires is gonna be spendy enough.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

let me put something to you clear before you move your truck with 8 lug wheels be prepared to grind the front callapers on the axel cause it will not turn 15 in wheels in that large of a diameter calliper i spend an 30 min to an hour trying to get it right and then i finnaly got it so i could move and then i had to let them wear down to fit. trust me it sucks. i thought something was broke when the axel twisted under. your wheels will bolt up but wont turn.

PRIMERK5

4. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

im running 6 in suspension with 3 in traction and 3 in body and i dont even rub with my 42's which is odd for trucks around where i live i would go with bigger wheels for the 8 lug applications for the simple fact of grinding of the callipers. i also have 15x10 in wheels and they look great on it

PRIMERK5

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

PrimerK5 what was your backspacing? That plays the biggest role in it. Anyways Russ if you go with a real narrow wheel like a 8" the tire will be taller than it being on a wider wheel. It also keeps the bead protected and is almost imposible to break the bead off it at really low psi. I put a set of 28x12.50/15 M/T sportsman Pros on 6" wide wheels. Its hard to do that because the sidewall isnt that tall, but it worked, getting them to unbead when it came time to swap them out was anothe story. It took three guys to get them off.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would go for a 15 x 10 rim for those.

<hr></blockquote> Do not write below this line

<hr></blockquote>

7. DesertDueler

write

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Wheels for 42

lol[​IMG] You were the first to do that..I was wondering how long it would take for someone to do it,LOL

<hr></blockquote> Do not write below this line

<hr></blockquote>

9. BadDog

I'm running 4" of lift to start with, and I may add 1" of body plus move the body/firewall back and cut the core support out to the radiator. I don't like allot of lift. [​IMG] I'm not much concerned about looks, functionality and dependability are key in my plans.

Russ

10. DesertDueler

Re: Wheels for 42

:)

11. BadDog

I am very well aware of the issues with running 1 ton gear with 15" rims. I still have not decided on the exact back spacing, may go 3.5, or I may go with 4.25 (yes, more grinding). I'm mostly considering 4.25 to cut down on "tire scrub". This pig is going to fight the steering enough as it is, at least till I can punch it up with a ram assist.

Russ

12. BadDog

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning toward a 8" wheel for that exact reason. 8" would help prevent pop-off at low pressure, protect the bead, and rock-stomper bead locks would work just fine. However, they are currently on 10" which looks to be pulled in fairly well. Still undecided.

Russ

13. DesertDueler

Yea, but if you run the 8" wheel you may not need to run beadlocks. That and steel wheels are alot cheaper than beadlock wheels. When you stop by tommorow we can figure it out.

14. BadDog

That's sort of what I'm hoping. Basically, a cheap set of 8" or 10" (9" if they exist??) and see what happens. If no problems, GREAT! [​IMG] If I blow a bead too often (at all?) maybe I'll be able to afford the weld on bead locks from RS. Or some maybe some ghetto locks (screws inside the wheel bowl into the bead) would likely be sufficient with the narrow wheel. Just something to make sure the bead stays behind the safety bead.

Another thing I'm considering is tubes. I *REALLY* do not want to lug an extra 42 (160 lbs + rim) around, not to mention the cost. If I run tubes, there is less issue with the bead popping plus I can pop the bead with a hi-lift to "boot" it, sew it, and/or replace a tube. Never ran tubes in a tubeless tire but it seems that several people are doing it on Pirate and they really brag on it. I don't know, might be worth a try.

Just looking for input to make sure I don't overlook or otherwise miss out on a good setup just because I didn't know/think about it.

Russ

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Russ, I have some white spoke wheels painted black. They are 15 x 8 and 8 lug. Not bent or rusted. They could use a new paint job though.

Here's the kicker: two of the rims have a 3.5" backspacing and the other two have a 2.5" backspacing. These 2.5" b.s. would be better for the D60 since you would not have to grind as much as you would with the deeper b.s.

How about a trade for your 15 x 10 in 6 lugs for my 15 x 8 in 8 lug?

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

16. DesertDueler

Hey Wess wouldnt that look kinda funny that way. I mean the front is already 2" wider, why make it even wider? The other way around would work alot better, I mean the less backspacing in the rear right. Just my 2 cents.

17. BadDog

If they were all 3.5-4.25 B.S. you would have yourself a deal. Unfortunately, I'm not even thrilled about the 3.5 B.S. because of the scrub radius causing problems when turning on rocks when not rolling. 2.5" would be even worse, in addition to putting more strain on everything. Not to mention adding another 2"+ to my already behemoth full-size track width. Probably wouldn't be too big a deal in the mud but, I don't think it would work out on the rocks. I would rather grind.

Thanks, but, I guess I'll pass.

Russ

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: What happend to the 48s?

What do you think about side-shifting? With the tall, wide (15")tires, and a narrow rim (8"). The side-wall would "squirm" around alot, and might be too unpredictable. Maybe, I've never mess around with that tall of a tire before so it might not make a difference.

With a true 15" wide tire and a 10" wide rim, and being bias-ply. I would think that would be enuff to keep the beads seat at 10 PSI. (But again, I don't know)

The tube idea, I don't really like that. If you spin a tire on the rim, it might rip the stem off. If you screw the tire bead to the rim, then with all the moveing the tire would take over rocks, the tube might still try to "walk" around and rip the stem out. Again, I don't know, never tried it. On the other hand, drag racer's do it all the time, and they shock load the tire in the same direction all the time, without problems.
    If you puncture a side-wall and tube, I kinda doubt a new tube would be enuff. You would have to patch the tire too. You probably knew that, though.

I'd go for the max back-spaceing. Keep the wheel trac width as narrow as possible.
    '
    random thoughts, never tried anyof it my-self.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

19. BadDog

Good points all...

Like you, I don't know what effect the very narrow wheel would have. That's why I posted. Never ran this big of a tire before either, much less on a narrow rim, or with tubes.

I also had the same tube reservations that you mention, and I followed the same thought process regarding drag cars and circle track. Plus some of the big dogs over on Pirate swear by running tubes (I posted a similar query over there to get their input as well).

As far as fixing a puncture, that is why I mentioned "boots" and "sewing" earlier.

I also agree on the max-back spacing too. At one point I was leaning toward 3.5 to reduce the grinding, but now I am leaning toward the 4.25s.

Russ

20. DesertDueler

Going with the 8" versus the 10" rim it will be about a 1/2" taller, and will ride on the center more with alot of air ressure, just run a lower psi and you will be happy.