Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheels loked in 2x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, Feb 26, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

is it bad to drive in two by if the front is locked? will this wear down the transfer case? i have a 208. im not talking about on the street but when im offroading can i leave the hubs locked?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If its just in between section of a trail and its all on off road I don't see why not. May still be a little stiff turning sometimes. If you did this on solid ground it will bind, buddy's truck was hard to disengage once thanks to that. I actually keep it in 4 high(4lo if needed) when I am off road and don't unlock or go 2wd until I'm leaving /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

It won't hurt anything! Lots of vehicles with the same basic design didn't even come with Lock Hubs and were always "engaged." The 8 years that I lived in Utah, I never unlocked my hubs from the beginning of Deer season until the end of winter. When we race the Class 8 F150 4x4 we leave the hubs locked during the whole race though we only use four wheel drive in silt beds, sand washes and high speed graded roads and we run at up to 120 MPH that way.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will be just fine running with the hubs locked in and the t-case in 2wd. There won't be any binding whatsover if you still have a n open front diff, it will work just like the rear through a turn. I do it a lot when I have to pull on something but wan't to gear down and don't need the extra traction from the front.