Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels & Lug Nuts ... How Dangerous is it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Laurie, Jun 21, 2000.

1. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Took "Baby" ('87 Blazer) in for check up today and was told needed new wheels and lug nuts to the tune of $275-. Said sockets on wheels were gouged and needed to replace them along with lug nuts. A friend of mine wants to just replace lug nuts and see how that works. He didn't think wheels looked that bad. How bad a problem do you think this can be? As usual, money is tight and I have other things like the suspension (which sucks), and brakes to deal with too. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

2. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure I understand??? Are the wheels steel or alumunim(sp)??? What did the lug holes look like when they showed them to you? Cracked, oblonged or what?? And are the lug nuts the factory ones with the tin/aluminum caps on them?

I think you friend was right. Just probably trying to rip you off. Take it somewhere else, like a tire store

Michael

3. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

Get a quick, easy, FREE check by any one of the
    tire shops in your town (or nearby town as the
    case may be). Mention that someone said you
    needed new wheels but that you want a straight
    answer with full explanations of WHY you need
    new wheels right away. Don't be bashful with
    them. "Sounds" like they may be trying to
    snow you into $275 worth of cheap wheels but
    without seeing the wheels, I can't judge them
    "cheaters". Good Luck! And be sure to post
    the shop name and location if you find out
    that in fact you really DIDN'T need the
    upgrades. Shops like that really irk me...
    Good Luck!

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

WHile nobody can be sure without seeing the wheels, I am very skeptical that the shop told you the truth. I have seen some pretty thrashed wheels on trucks around here, and they seem to still work just fine. I am not aware of anything that would cause the space around the lugs to enlarge..short of huge bends in them or cracks with pieces missing, they should be fine, I think. I once bent two of my wheels so bad the tires deflated, but a shop just bent them back and I was on my way. They are on my Jimmy now, in fact. My lugs were garbage, and I replaced them. I just went to my local junkyard and collected a set of bomber ones. Cost me $2.

Soon I will be running black rockcrawlers (15x10), so if it turns out that you do need wheels I'll sell you a set of chrome steel spokes (15x8) for $50 plus shipping. That should save you some cash, if worse comes to worse. Still, I think that shop is trying to shaft you.

5. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I wish I would've checked the wheels when I bought my k5. The holes on the rear wheels were slightly ovaled out, over the next hundred miles they got worse. I didn't find out until I was downtown on the strip with some friends looking for ladies and heard a few pops, then the drivers side rear wheel sheered its lug studs and passed under my truck crushing the rear quarter panel and leaving me needing bodywork, new wheels for the rear, and some rear end work. I'm not saying I trust shops to tell me when something needs work, but I'd check it out

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

6. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

You said "sockets on wheels".....do you mean the studs?...that the lug nuts spin on to? Or are you talking about the actual rim with the tire on it?

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout