Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels spacers (adapter) and IFS? caliper clearance question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, May 12, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Was trying to see if I can fit my 6 lug rims on my 8 lug IFS truck- Only question was, I was uncertain about wheel clearance. Is a d60 rotor bigger than a IFS 3/4 ton truck front rotors? I know the trucks came stock with 16" rims.

The second is strength- If I were to use wheels adapters on both front and rear, would it be too much stress on the IFS front and the 14Bsf rear? (road/towing duty only).

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I wouldn't use spacers on an IFS front end. It's going to change the suspension geometry and increase the leverage on the ball joints and bearings. Take a look at the offset of the stock wheels. They are very different than the wheels on a straight axle truck. The negative offset minimizes the stress on the front suspension. Spacers would screw things up. Find some 8-lug wheels that are intended for your application. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That being said, could I ever run 15" wheels? At least I could use my tires at that point, Im just wondering that if on our SFA's, we needed to do some griding, on the IFS I'd even need to do MORE griding

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You might be able to squeeze a set of steel 15's on there, but I've never tried it. You could just sell the 15 inch tires and use the money towards some 16's. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif