Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels & Tires??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backcountry, Jul 2, 2004.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Hello all!

I am getting close to purchasing new wheels and tires for my 1973 Chevy K/10 Longbed Pickup and was looking for some recommendations.

I was thinking of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. I want to go with 35x12.50x15's max. with 15"x10" Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels. Any suggestions/recommendations??

Thank you!

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

real good combo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The way I see it, it's your money, buy what you like. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. backcountry

No, I was planning on using your money! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Of course it's my money! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Since most of you have been 4 wheeling much longer than I, I was hoping you would share your tire experences with me. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I had BFG's on my Jimmy, and went with Swampers on the wagon. I sold the bfg's when I was selling the Jimmy and my brother ended up putting BFG back on it. He has since went with swampers.

for hiway you will be better off with the mtrs or the bfg style of tire ( pro comp and etc...)

for mainly off road you woul dbe better off with a swamper or ground hawg style( just for you Z3PR /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) tire.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    No, I was planning on using your money!

[/ QUOTE ] If I had any, my K5 would be alot futher along that it is. It wouldn't have sat for the last 2 years with nothing getting done, LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif But I hear ya. MTR's seam too be pretty poppular. I have Ground Hawg 2's just because I wanted a aggressive tire that lasts a long time with street usage. Still need too buy the rims yet. Think I'll buy [​IMG]($174.00 per wheel for real beadlocks) only I'll have too paint them white and paint the ring blue to match the two tone blue and white of my K5.

7. backcountry

Man, are those true beadlocks? They look heavy but strong. I was trying to keep the weight down on my wheels and tires so I plan on purchasing aluminum wheels.

I'm sure I will be doing mostly street driving however, when I hit the trail I want good traction. I have another vehicle so I will only drive my 1973 Chevy truck on the street about 12,000.00 miles a year max.

Anyone had any experences in the snow with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I like your tire choice MTR's are cool, I would go with an 8 inch wide rim though, keeps the rim protected better /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run 35" MTR's on 15x8" steel wagon wheels painted black. Combo works well for what I do. The 8" rim keeps the wheels more protected and the 8" rim also holds a bead better at lower air pressures for offroading.

I run steel rims for a few reason. They are cheaper then aluminum. Rocks tend to chew up steel bad enough, aluminum would be worse. Aluminum rims in 15" won't fit over 3/4 ton front brakes. If I mangle a steel rim I can smack it back in place with a hammer to get down the trail and also weld on it if need be.

If my truck saw street and light trail only instead of rocks I would run aluminum's. They look cooler. I personally would run the Mickey T Classic II, I think thats the name ones anyway. I don't remember for sure.

So far I am really happy with my MTR's they are great all around tires. I can get damn good traction while rock crawling on the trails and drive 80 mph to and from the trails. They are a great all around tire. I used to be a diehard BFG man but now I am totally sold on the MTR's. The only plus side I see to a BFG mud terrain over and MTR is you might get more road miles out of them. Anything other then that the MTR is an equal if not better tire then the BFG MT.

The Heep guys in Colorado really seem to like the MTR's. I saw a number of Jeeps that see snow with MTR's and I think that it would be a fine choice for snow too. If you deal with ice you might have them sipped for more traction surfaces.

The BFG MT's I ran before my MTR's were sipped and it gave them alot of extra bite.

Harley

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    with 15"x10" Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels. Any suggestions/recommendations??

Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would try and find a set of the MT original classics used if you can because they are a lot better than the classic 2 pieces of crap. Those are cast unlike the classic 1's that were made by alcoa and are FORGED. Unfortunately MT is no longer selling the Classic 1's anymore and I just sold a set of 15x12's that I had reluctantly. Not to mention the C1's look much nicer than the C2's. Weldracing is the only company making forged aluminum rims now but they are pricey, mine were $325 per wheel.

11. backcountry

Anyone have pic's of 35x12.5x15's on 15x8's? Sound like a great idea to run wheels smaller in width to protect them. However, does it look funny? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I personally prefer the wider look you get with the 15x10's.

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

35" MTR's on repainted rallies

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Check out the pics in my webshots link below. Those are my 15x8" steelies and 35x12.5's

Harley

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    However, does it look funny? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I sure as heck think it does! I think it looks the best when the rim is the exact same width as the tread.(not the sidewall)

16. backcountry

Jeremiah,

Nice looking rig! Are those 8" wide wheels? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. backcountry

bobby,

It does not look that bad to me. I perfer the wider rim myself.Function is more important because I plan to wheel my vehicle offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeremiah,

Nice looking rig! Are those 8" wide wheels? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

15x7 stock rallies
    They will do till I buy some 15x8 Mickey thompson classic locks

19. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

20. backcountry

Nice guys!

Thank you so much for pic's and info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif