Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheels / tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Nov 28, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I drive a basically stock 85 Silverado. http://alaskank5.freehomepage.com

I don't particularly want to get a lift on this truck, what can I do to get beefier looking tires and or rims to make the truck look, Hmmm, beefier? I have original 15" rally rims for the summer with 31x10.5x15 tires, and a set of basic 15" rims with studded Dunlop 235x75xR15's.
    Whats my best way to go here? for a better look without rubbing?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You ask, I answer.
    BFG 33x10.5R15's. Either AT or MT depending on what you do with the truck.
    2 or 3 leaf springs up front? MIGHT be a rubbing problem with only 2 springs, but if you aren't flexing the truck a lot (stock suspension) then it likely won't be a problem.

Most tire stores (that are decent) will mount the tires, and at least let you see if they are going to rub, without charging you. one even told me I could return them after mounting and balancing and I had paid for them, if they rubbed. (didn't take them up on that offer though)

Those tires really fill up the wheelwells, which IMO is the one visual weakness these trucks (actually most anymore) have stock...gaping wheelwells.

http://www.dorianyeager.com/TablePics/rear33.jpg
    www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks, Yep, 2 springs up front and 5 in the rear.
    This truck is in really nice condition and I don't wanna start fender trimming. I hardly ever really go off road, it's pure Alaskan winter transport. My kids can hardly climb in as it is, so thats putting my off getting a lift.
    The truck is quite 'rolly' when cornering hard, that is my main worry with jumping up tire size and rubbing.
    Now, Don't know if you read my bio, but I'm from Ireland, this Blazer is the biggest truck I've ever been in.! I don't know much about susp lifts etc, Can I do a lift myself? I mean 2" or whatever, I've read old post about extending steering columns etc, and doing that myself seems a lot of work for 2" or whatever. What do you think? I'm stuck....

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In my opinion, the "sway" the trucks have when stock, is due to the ultra light duty leaf springs they used. The shocks aren't preventing sway when you are entering a cloverleaf on ramp at 35 miles per hour, and I notice a HUGE difference in cornering between the 2/3 leaf setup.

You could do a 2" lift spring kit I'm sure, but I'm not lifting my truck, so I know very little about the process. I'm going to have my springs re-arched and an add a leaf put in to get it to sit level, but no actual "lift". I believe a lift spring kit can actually make the suspension softer, so you may actually end up with the same, or more, sway than before.

The tires lifted the truck 1" over the 31's, so that was pretty nice in itself. The 3/6 leaf setup is definitely not a "wheeling" setup...even in the garage with a floor jack under one side of the front axle, it only took 8" or so before the other side lifted off the ground.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi
    If you want to, I took some pictures as I did both my 3" bodylift and the 4"suspensionlift. They are on my page, link below.
    I drove the first 6 months I had the stock blazer with 32 11,5 Mud/terrains and they looked extreme for me back then. Now I think my 35's would look bether on the kids trolly(sp)[​IMG]
    You can do a lift yourself. It's not really hard + you got the help of Coloradok5 if you get stuck.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

6. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Espen, weren't you the guy I emailled paint codes to?

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

yep! [​IMG]

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I ran 32x11.50s on 15x10 wheels for a while on my 85. Really filled up the wells. Wasn't any good for off-roading, though. Would rub when turning up an incline. But it looked good.

If you are uncomfortable with the stock sway, don't lift the truck. I think you will be uncomfortable with the new height. You could also try some gas shocks (Bilstein).

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

9. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks, That's a cool truck you have there.!
    Yeah, I think I'll leave this Blazer as is except go for bigger tires as this is a daily driver and hardly ever see's dirt. Think I'll pick up a cheapy blazer and play with lifting that etc instead.
    Thanks again