Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheels wont come off rear!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chills, Dec 23, 2003.

1. chills

chills Newbie

Hello hope someone can help. i have a 87 k5 not sure what wheels it came with when new, it is a silverado, any way i put a set of the stock steel ralleys on it, and to get the rear wheels off i have to take a crow bar and pry in between drum and wheel very tight. i tried another set and same thing? truck has stock 10 bolt rear, the wheels on front work fine. any help would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only thing I can think of on the rear that would make a wheel "stick" (if I understand your problem right) is either the flange on the axleshaft (raised center section that fits into the center of the wheel) or the lug nut studs are somehow too fat at the base, and are grabbing onto the wheel.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the wheels on front work fine. any help would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you tried putting the wheels from the front onto the back to see if you are still having the same problem? That will tell you if its your rims or if its your lugs.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

penetrating oil, soak and tap, maybe some heat form hand held propane torch, soak and tap and warm, up the wheels metal only, not the cast iron hubs part /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    when you get them off, then lighlty file around hole in wheel and grease them up good

5. chills

chills Newbie

The front wheels do the same thing on the rear, where the problem is, is the end of the axle is a little bigger then the center hole on rim the lugs and studs are fine-help ????

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

On that center lip, take a dremel with a sanding drum or grinding wheel and clean it up really good.

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

It's called hub-centric for a reason /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The factory wheels are almost a press fit (in your case they are definitely close tollerance) I usually give the sidewall of the tire a good whack with a dead blow hammer to free it up from the axle. Then I lube the center part of the hub with some grease to keep it from corroding again. Good luck and happy holidays /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

newer rims are smaller in the center then the old ones, and the front hub has a smaller nose on the hub then the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif