Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BPCRJ, Nov 27, 2000.

1. BPCRJ

BPCRJ Registered Member

What is the strongest most durable type of wheels? Steel, Aluminum, etc.?

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I'm the strongest most durable type of Wheels. (Sorry, had to do this). Really it would depend on what type of application you are looking for. Steel has a smoother finish and it is believed that the tire will slip on them easier (bead area) than with aluminium. Steel is heavier than aluminium. Steel gives (bends) where aluminium will break, or as one did on my wife's Tahoe, explode. Aluminium can be repaired now if it cracks whereas steel will have to be replaced. Steel rims are cheaper than aluminium. If you are into high flying jumps and high speed bumps, I would probably go with steel only because you chance of damaging a rim are higher. All other applications, I would stick with aluminium. Another interesting note is that in the aerospace industry, they use all aluminium rims mainly for weight savings but they hold up to some pretty good abuse. All 4 of my vehicles (79 K5, 96 Z71, 97 Tahoe and 98 Camaro) have aluminium rims along with the spare set for the 79.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Steel holds up better to being bashed against rocks and stuff. I don't know of any options besides steel and Aluminum, but there is a wide variance among the alloys used for Aluminum wheels.

"They tell me that you can make it to work without big tires. I'm still not convinced."