Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wheelwell trimming

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Mar 7, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 Blazer with the square wheel wells, and I like the look of the pre 73 Blazers with the half round wells does anyone see where I am going with this one?

I would like to cut the wells in a half round pattern for larger tires, has anyone else pondered this or even better done it. I have been measuring the radius and it would be a big cut so I just wanted some input befor she goes under the knife.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

I cut mine out as far as possible. A tip: dont go past the crease of where the 2 panels(outer fender/inner skirt) meet up, it will leave a gap between. I dont see why you couldnt give it that older look, but remember once cut it wont go back.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

3. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

to get the half round shape I am going to have to cut beyond the inner fender seam. I am thinking of how to fabricate a piece of sheetmetal to make a new seam after the cut to close all of the gaps, sort of like making a new well.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

4. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

It certainly can be done (not easily). A spot welder would be perfect. Screws would be a pain. To go past the inner seam you will have to move the fender well around. This is something Ive been planning on doing but dont have an exact plan. Considering the way my truck looks allready I am going to start the project with a torch and see where it goes from there. I like that cutout prerunner look alot though.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking about making custom inner fenderwells for mine. Roll the steel, and tack it in place, then trim the outside to fit. I'm thinkin it will work, my reason isn't athestic, it's nessessary to fit 38's under a 4" lift with lots of articulation. It'll be a pain in the a**, but well worth it I believe.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Sounds good Brian, keep it low. Hey thanks again by the way. It looks like both of those t-cases are in good shape and Im closer to being in the mud.THANKS

DangerBrett[​IMG]