Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When checking Foot Lbs. on Ubolts and etc>>????>>>>???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

From time to time I cruz around my undercarage with my torque wrench and spec sheet re torqueing items such as Ubolts, steering box, crossmembers, etc...
    My question is should I back off or lossin the nuts then re torque? Or just set the spec on the wrench and tighten up untill the click??
    The reson I ask is as my hardware is getting older more and more rust/buildup is present on the nuts & bolts and I was just wondering if that will cause inacurate torque readings??

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You act as if your paranoid, like you actually take your rig out and hammer on it....relaxxxxxxxxxx Burt.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey at least I WHEEL my rig!! Damn parking lot junky!!
    hehehehe J/K
    Actually the recent carnage I suffered on the first 100ft of the Rubicon trail had me looking over things a bit more and guess what I found under my K5??
    A missing dagree shim under one of my rear spring packs!!???I have NO clue as to how that damn thing got out from under there!! Mabie it cracked in half??Then wiggeled it's way out during the flexy times?? Heck for all I know I lost it while in Moab??? I check my Ubolt torque probly 3times a year too! So just thinking out loud.....
    Now go have a drink for me! hehhee
    Later Fumes..Oh and have a GREAT weekend! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just torque them without loosening................ /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hey at least I WHEEL my rig!! Damn parking lot junky!!

[/ QUOTE ] Hey , I resemble that remark....Project lowbuck stayed in camp to make sure everything was safe...Well that and you guy's would have had to pull me through every obsticle there was since, I have whimmpy tires and no front driveline....But at least I showed up for the party... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes you did! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    and the party would NOT have been the same without you!
    RockON! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

For sure rust and such will give you inaccurate torque readings. However, if they are rusted/ing I would think they would not back off either.

If you're really worried, you can take them off and lube 'em with some anti-seize. Then when putting them back on you should get a more accurate reading.

Sounds like your still having fun there Burt!

Is it back on the road?

When are we hitting the 'con again? I have my sliders on now!

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Still up on floor jacks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but not for long. Next weekend I should have it rolling again. I have to put the frontend back together and get the rearend re-mounted with the proper angle for my new CV driveline. As for the Con, no time soon. Maby next summer....maby never? Were I really wana go is Kyburs(off HWY 50) and down near ShaverLake outside of Fresno(near Frizzelfry)! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Sounds like fun!

LMK.