Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When did the first crew cab come out?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., May 2, 2004.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what was the first year GM offered the 4 door (crewcab) pickup configuration? Or, what is the earliest year you've ever seen?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

I saw a 76' 3/4 ton 4x4 crewcab for sale once.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

OK, 1976 ... do I hear 1975 .... anyone, anyone at all?

The earliest I remember seeing was a 79 dually, so you got me beat by 3 years.

Eric M.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My dad use to own a 75 4dr dually /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Anyone see a 74 ever??

Eric M.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I saw a picture of a 1973/1974 Crew Cab SRW once ( or atleast it had that style grill ) . I read somewhere that GM got interested in the Crew Cab market because the big oil companys placed orders for such trucks when the Alaskan Pipe Line was being built . With enough orders placed it made it profitable to offer a Crew Cab to the public in the early years of production.
    The earliest year Crew Cab that I have actually seen is a 1975 - 292/4-spd 4.56 2WD SRW it was a Bonus Cab ( no back seat ) .
    Tom

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Once again, the Brochure page to the rescue!

1973. GMC lists them in the Pickups / Cab & Chassis for that year, and they show up in the Chevy side as well.

Now, all I see in crew cabs are duallies -- though I think that's your style anyway -- but you might have to dig to see about SRW crewcabs.

(And when I say "crew cabs" I mean six packs, to include "Crew Cabs" and "Bonus Cabs", the ones without the back seat. Just so no-one corrects me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

-- A

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

67-72 crew cabs existed, they were just a special order vehicle. They had 4 front doors. Somebody on the 67-72 boards has a website with a few of them on it, but those boards are down right now and I can't remember the name of the guy's site. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. dremu

I am thinking those 67-72 crew cabs weren't done by GM but were done by an aftermarket outfit as a conversion; kind of like the Armbruster-Stageway limos and whathaveyou. You could prolly order them through a dealer, but they came from the aftermarket outfit, if that makes sense.

I seem to reclal that the early 4WD's were like that; the dealers sold them, but they were aftermarket conversions (this was, err, late 50's and early 60's maybe?)

Certainly the 67-72 crewcabs weren't offered by GM in any quantity as I've never seen paperwork on them.

-- A

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

NAPCO I believe was the 4x4 conversion company. I found the page, http://www.longhorntrucks.freeservers.com/photo2.html There is the '68 3-door C20 and and '72 GMC Crew Cab. According to the site, the 3 door C20:

[ QUOTE ]
    This type of conversion was not purchased very much, but none the less, was a GM conversion.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't mention whether the crew cab is a factory conversion or not, but several were built, but they were originally made for the Forestry Division. No word on who did the conversion though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Below it is the '71 3+3 4x4, also claiming to be a factory conversion, but I guess that term can be subjective. The dealer might have done it but then passed it off as factory.

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Those trucks are sweet...especialy the bottom 2

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, all I see in crew cabs are duallies -- though I think that's your style anyway --

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh, I'm getting a rep. here. 3 dually 4x4s in a hobby .... 4 is an obsession!

Thanks all. I got all the info. (and a few good links) I needed.

Eric M.

13. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    Ohhh, I'm getting a rep. here. 3 dually 4x4s in a hobby .... 4 is an obsession!

[/ QUOTE ]

After I bought the Amigo, my daily driver, with a half-cab and a factory soft-top (sweet little truck), a friend asked me if EVERY car I owned had a funny top -- the '74 is topless, the Chalet has the camper, the Z has t-tops, this thing has the fold-down softtop...

:shrug: I guess one DOES get a rep... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Earilest GM Crew cab I have seen was a 1962. It was a special order for the rail road.There is some guy in calif who has one all restored.It is very clean. he shows it at some of the bigger Cal auto shows. It even has one of those old Air conditioners that you fill with water and hang out the window.

Also as said in above post the forestery dpt had them in the 60s.As far as i know they were built by outsourced companys.But you orderd them from a Chev dealer and had to wait till they were built. Thats isn't unusual for GM way back then. They even outsourced their 4x4 trucks(they were converted 2 wheel drives) up until the early 60s.

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have seen a lot of 1960-66 Chevy and GMC coach conversions. There is a web page on the 1960-66 GMC site with more info on what was being done in the '60s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Earilest GM Crew cab I have seen was a 1962. It was a special order for the rail road.There is some guy in calif who has one all restored.It is very clean. he shows it at some of the bigger Cal auto shows. It even has one of those old Air conditioners that you fill with water and hang out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that truck on "My Classic Car" on Speedvision this weekend. Very cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif