Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

when did your rig become not daily driveable???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by leadfoot067, Oct 16, 2003.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

is there a point in the build when the vehicle of choice becomes not a good driver??? im at the point with mine where i want alot more tire 42s..have 36s now.and i want a 60 and hydro steering.....but i use it for hunting and camping,towing and daily driving.....so when does the line get crossed??? mine drives good on the highway the way it is..i have no fear of hopping in it and driving across the usa if i want...can you say that about your rig with 39 or bigger tires?? just curious....

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just go ahead and get bigger tires/wheel's. When you wanna go wheelin, swap tire's/wheel's, and back to street mode when you're done wheelin. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have driven my truck all over with 38s. Just make sure it's in good shape and you're fine. I don't think I'd want to burn up a brand new set of 42s though. When I get new tires, they will see little to no road miles and I'll save my old tires to burn up.

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ya i figure if im gonna go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifi might as welll go really big...39s arent alot bigger than my 36s..so im thinkin 42s...i just dont want it to be undrivable...

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 60/14 39.50's hydro assist etc and it's my daily driver work truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Soon to be 43's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

39s are a lot bigger than your 36s. It's like a whole different truck once you get to 38s or bigger.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I don't consider mine to be a good DD with 35's /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's not all that hardcore or anything, but a truck that is almost 30 years old just doesn't have the comforts that newer vehicles offer. Also the jumping in and out everyday justs gets old, is fun if your say in high school trying to impress everyone, but now that I am getting older I like something a little easier /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Guess I am not very hardcore LOL

I think 42's would make it a lot tougher as a DD, I would think the ride would suffer as well as MPG. When it comes to point A to point B drivin, I don't really care what its in as long as I get there, and cheaper is better.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It all comes down to what you can afford and put up with. Are you willing to run 42's on a daily driver and have to replace them after 15K to 20K? Big tires and heavy axles create a lot of wind resistance and drag, thus using extra gas. Some things that are looked over are: are you willing to get in and out of a tall enough truck to clear 42's, are you willing to put up with the bad road characteristics of a tire that big, and are you willing to pay for extra gas? along with other annoying things? I have 35" boggers on my DD and I am willing to deal with them on a daily basis. I know that my truck isn't very tall with only 9" of lift but it is hard to get in and out of it a lot after a hard days work without any steps, can't imagine getting out of a 12" plus rig on 42's all the time after 12 hours of work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway you have to deside if it is worth it to you to put up with some of those things.

9. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    are you willing to get in and out of a tall enough truck to clear 42's. I have 35" boggers on my DD and I am willing to deal with them on a daily basis. I know that my truck isn't very tall with only 9" of lift but it is hard to get in and out of it a lot after a hard days work without any steps, can't imagine getting out of a 12" plus rig on 42's all the time after 12 hours of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

who says you have to lift your rig 12+ inches to run 42's??? i run 39's with 6" of lift. your truck must look goofy with 9" lift and ONLY 35's. my bro runs 44's with 4" suspension and 3" body. don't be afraid of the sawzall!!!

all in all its a matter of what you are willing to put up with i daily drive my rig and so does my bro, granted we're a little kooky! i say go big!

10. willyswanter

And I run 39.50's on 7" of lift and am going to run 42's on the same... Where did you get 42's taking 12+" of lift from?

11. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i quoted it from rifguitar---> i'm not trying to start a flame war, just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. willyswanter

Yeah thats why I was replying to him not you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

with the 35s on my truck is a fine DD rig... swap the big meats on when i go offroad. Its all good. Its noisy in my rig right now cause i have no tcase shifter boot... but other than that its fine. what creature comforts do you need?!!? cozy seats and a heater is about it... and my rig still has those. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well mine has some various vibrations, and noises...though the heat does work and the windows roll up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I like having an economy vehicle for DD'ing, and my rig is well...my rig, I can mess with it and do whatever I want to it without havin to worry about how I'm getting to work/school/whatever /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

winter is another thing to consider. If your on swampers and lifted realy big and realy heavy, its going to be a fun time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

When my truck was on 38s and 6" of lift I could have driven it every day with a modicum of comfort. The longest that I ever drove it daily was for about a month when my DD was at the dealer getting a bunch of warranty work done, and it wasn't so bad. Fuel mileage sucked and it isn't nearly as fast or nimble as my Z28 was (duh), which were the main reasons that I wouldn't want to drive it every day. Plus the fact that 38s on 1/2 ton brakes are pretty borderline on power. Just getting in and out the breif period that I put the 42s on about 8" of lift on for a test fit, I can tell you that I would not want to haul my ass in and out of the thing on a daily basis anymore. The estimated 60-65 mph cruising speed with the 5.13s and 7 mpg isn't something that I'd want to deal with either.

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

After almoast 3 years of work on my truck I can say that I don't care about gas prices, or hopping in and out, my rock sliders are high as hell and I run 38's on around 10 inches of lift. I jump in and go for drives just for the hell of it, no doors, ac or heater, no top, I just love it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

willy's
    oic my bad dooooood /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I built my rig for mainly off road driving. With 44's at 400.00 each I want them to last.The only street they see is driving to the mud. plus my motor loves to drink the gas.I run 110 octane at 4.00 a gallon..................

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

ummm, dude, you live in AZ! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Try that in Seattle and tell me how no heat, no doors, and no top is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif