Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When does wheeling season end in Sweet Home Arizona?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, May 1, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was wondering when all you AZ guys are going to stop running trails this summer. Looks like I am headed home from Colorado toward the end of this month. I picked up a few goodies while I was here though that should make me wheeling material. (hopefully) So the Three Amigo's need to look out. I am looking to run with you all soon.

Got myself a rockrod, 35" BFG MT's, Warn 12K winch (need a bumper) and a custom 208 skidplate. So now I might have the equipment to run with you all. I need bumpers and armor, but I figure I can stay away from the nasty rocks until I get them.

Harley

P.S. my hideous running boards were eaten by the 32's and are gone too along with some of my front fenders that didn't like my 35's.

2. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Never, when it gets to hot you just start wheeling at night it puts a new twist on all the trails. And you have to watch out for all the creepy crawlers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yeah.... the hot season finds me doing a lot more "bootie fabbin'" that wheeling!.... We've been lucky this year /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif as the heat still hasn't stung us! But the good weather will end soon, and as Shane pointed out it will force us to do 5:00 am runs, night runs, and short trips to Saguaro Lake so we can "dip in" when it gets hot...

Either way, let us know when your back in town. We'll have a party at the "Springer" garage or something...

Marv

4. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering when all you AZ guys are going to stop running trails this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Shane said /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif....

Plus, Up north it's usually nice and cool, but I never seem to convince the other Amigos to get their arses up here, oh well......

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Plus, Up north it's usually nice and cool, but I never seem to convince the other Amigos to get their arses up here, oh well......

[/ QUOTE ]

This year I bet it'll happen Fred....

Marv

6. Hossbaby50

What trails are up by you Fred? I frequent that area as much as possible so I will probably wheel with you. I know the Mingus Mangler is up there, and I saw a few more on your 4x4 Clubs Site.

7. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

FWP, I guess they must not know what they are missing!! Shot Poland Road to Senator Hwy last weekend. No big rocks, but awesome scenery and great climate!! Gave East Coast Uncle-in-law a scenic tour of the area, can't see the good stuff from pavement, he now agrees /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif! Anytime you need a co-pilot, let me know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

8. Hossbaby50

You shot Poland Junction Road threw Breezy Pines all the way to the Senator Highway? Did you actually get to the Senator Highway or did you go up past Lynks Lake?

Last I knew a Jeep was barely narrow enough to make it down the Road from Big Bug Mesa to the Senator Highway (the road past the Old Dandria Ranch).

9. mosesburb

Yep, Poland Road all the way to Senator Hwy. Not sure where Breezy Pines is (is it that paved part about half way in??). To go to Lynx Lake you take a right down the nice looking fork, to go to Senator Hwy you take that ugly looking rock climb to the left at the fork. I ran it in an S10 so width was not an issue, but last year I shot it in a fullsize long-bed without incurring any pinstriping. The road did improve over the winter (got rockier, soil on the outcrops (road) washed away) making it more fun than it was last season /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. It's not a technical drive, just a nice fun drive. Now they (I'm not sure who they is) changed the grade of the road where Poland Road meets Senator Hwy, and removed the sign and I eneded up going North instead of South as I wanted, so I ended up going into Prescott instead of Crown King /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I realized it shortly after I ended up on Senator and decided to amend the tour to include Prescott and Thumb Butte. The East Coaster I was hauling just ate it up, loved every minute of it. Oh, well a burger in Crown King next time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Leseee here, we got the Mangler, Mandoske Draw, Del Rio Ranch, and Ridgeback, all around 3.5ish. Desoto Mine, Smiley Rock, Mayer (the Moon), and Alto Pit, all around 2.5 ish.......

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Cool, next time you head that way, I'd like to tag along and check it out. I haven't explored that area west of Poland Junction yet.....

12. Hossbaby50

Last time I heard that road to the Senator Highway was unpassable by a wide truck. My dad ran it some years back in a Heep with his buddy and my grandfather. He said the Heep barely fit threw a wash were a bunch of boulders had washed down. I have never run the road as I was under the assumption that it would still be unpassable.

There are 3 roads to choose when you come out of Breezy Pines (that is the little town/houses were the paved road is). One takes you to Lynx Lake (right), one goes to the Old Dandria Ranch & Senator Highway (left and down the hill) and the third takes you up to Big Bug Mesa (left and up the hill).

I have taken the Old Dandria Ranch road part of the way, but I turned around and came out after I took a little side trail that was a doozey. (nasty rock hillclimb and a road that BARELY fits fullsize. Definilty punched by jeeps.

I grew up hunting and camping in those hills, and the hill behind Mayer.

Crown King is an awesome little town. I love that place. I love getting a drink and just sitting around soaking up the environment and scernery in that town.

Let me know when you decide to run in that area again too. I frequent that area alot and love that area.

P.S. The Old Dandria Ranch was the site of a witches cult. The residents of the surrounding area burned the ranchhouse and outbuildings to the ground and threatened to kill the cult if they didn't leave and never return. The slabs of the house are still there on that road somewhere. This happened a long time ago (not sure when) but I do know that I personally have seen some weird [censored] up there and have seen places were there have been sacrifices (animal) on top of Big Bug Mesa. So be careful as some sicko's might still be around.

13. mosesburb

Gladly, Will contact you next time we head up there. This trail may be a bit boring for you though. Not passable in a passenger car, but not like the stuff you folks show pictures of. But if you like a nice scenic drive with great scenery, I highly recommend it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!! I would have contacted you before we ran it, but I wasn't sure when it was going to happen until the last minute (co-pilot went out the night before and didn't resurface until 11:00A /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif!

14. mosesburb

Well Hoss, something must have changed since then. The road is very passable and I highly recommend it. I like it because it is easy to get to, only about 70 miles from my house. If you like dirt more than pavement, you can take the Bumble Bee exit off I-17 halfway up Sunset hill and run through the valley, take the right turn to go to Old Cordes, and up into Mayer (some high speed dirt roads this way). Then roll up 69 to Poland Junction. Only about 1.25hrs from home and I'm in the hills, cool climate even in summer! My destination is usually Senator Hwy or something off of it, so this is a great way to get there. I've never taken the road down to Dandria Ranch (not sure I want to now--well maybe if Robzilla tags along with his Howitzer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) I seem to remember something about the cult gatherings up there as well. Sounds like you have more info on it than I do. That's the bitch up there, so much gorgeous country to explore, but so many wierdos etc. A buddy of mine got chased off a trail a few years ago by some miner-like person. Guess he thought he was going to jump his claim /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif (he wasn't on his claim though).
    Yeah, hard to compare a relaxing burger and beverage in the thriving metropolis of downtown Crown King. You never know what you're going to see up there, hey. Interesting rock-type J*eps, quads of all types, alcohol induced staggering, or my personal favorite, the tying of the drunken belligerent fighter to the pole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!!
    Maybe we can get together with Fred and make a run of Poland Road to Senator Hwy to Crown King for some quality cow parts and refreshments. I will be leashed to the house come late June as the bun is going to be released from the oven around then, so I need to make a running start at my home-boundness /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif! So if you cats are interested, let me know.
    So long,
    Nick

15. Hossbaby50

I have run the roads from Bumble Bee exit to Crown King many times. I have also run Bloody Basin to Old Cortes and down to the Bumble Bee road. I have also run the road from Old Cortes to Mayer. There is appartently another road closer to crown king that can cut you back to Mayer, but take 4x4 from what I understand. I have also run the Senator Highway from Crown King to Prescott.

I have also run the road from behind Lake Pleasent to Crown King (this is the rest of the Senator Highway I believe). This is a 4x4 required road with some decent obstacles and GREAT scenery. I would like to do it again now that I have my truck setup well and don't have to take the bypasses. The run from Pleasant took about 5hrs total and was very fun. I made it in a Blazer with 2.5" lift, 32's, and a limited slip. My buddy made it in a stock 94 Bronco with 32's. It was really fun that day because it was raining and the roads were wet and some were very muddy. It is a great way to get to Crown King.

There is supposedly another road into Crown King from the Table Mesa area. But I have never heard anyone who has taken it, or anyone who knows how to get there. I saw it on a map of the area once so I have no idea if it is still passable even by the hardcore wheelers.

There is alot of good exploring and wheeling opertunities behind Mayer. I have explored alot in there (hunting and camping) and there is alot of great camping and exploring to be had because of all the old mining roads that nobody have used in years, and are unknown to most.

The road going behind Mayer will drop you onto the Senator Highway as well. It drops in at the expired town of Goodwin. (the last house there burned down about 5 years ago)(this road also offers many cool campsites that I have used for years.)

Lastly there is also another way to get to Crown King from the Western side of the Bradshaw's. You go to Wickenburg and go toward Congress. Then you head toward Wagner.(near Wagner is a place called Nowhere, AZ) From there you can head up to Crown King from the back side.

There is also a ghost town in there somewhere I went to when I was little. My parents and I used to go on drives to old ghost towns and around when I was little.

The back way to Prescott is always a nice drive too. You head up threw Congress and up threw Yarnel.+

Also, FYI if you don't know there is a sweet place to camp near Crown King. You go to the Horsetheif dam and there is a nice little lake and sweet camping opertunties.

Harley

16. mosesburb

Hoss, You just named a bunch of my favorite trails /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Sounds like we need to hook up and go traveling. I haven't run the Lake Pleasant to Crown King road yet (not sure my current vehicle would make it(S10 4X X-cab) some tell me it will, some tell me it won't), but have wanted to for many years. I do know how to drive, so I believe I could pull it off, but would hate to get way in there and find out that I don't have the clearance to finish the nasty stuff at the end. Dug Right and another buddy of mine shot it one day a year or two ago, but didn't pass along an invite to me (Dicks!). I shot Wagoner Road a couple years ago. Pretty damn boring until you get up in altitude. When we (wife/co-pilot and I) have the time, the road towards Wickenburg is the preferred route of travel to end up in Prescott. We camped near the Horsethief Reservoir a couple years ago. Cool old stone mason dam there (smallest lake is AZ at 2 acres I believe). I haven't run a few of the trails you mentioned around Mayer, but I am always looking for new remote camping sites where you don't run into the "yuppie" campers who may as well bring the whole condo with them when they camp. If you're up for a voyage, let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    Take Care,
    Nick

17. Hossbaby50

When I ran Pleasent to Crown King last the trail wasn't that hard. Just long. I know a guy in a stock Wrangler and a stock Grand Vitara made it down the trail without any real problems. The only obsticle that might hang you is a rock ledge (that many have road built). I saw a stock Wrangler with 31's get high centered on that. I don't know if it was driver error or lack of vehicle. (I tend to think driver error since he was driving like a jerkoff earlier that day).

The toughest part for me in a Fullsize was some decent size rocks that I couldn't get over (L/S & 32's) With a narrower truck like and S10 you can go around the rocks high on a creek bank and get by. With my K5 I was about 2" to wide to fit. My buddies 94 Bronco fit with a little momentum, but he ended up about 1/2" to wide and lipped his rim out pretty bad on a rock. (sledgehammer fixed that though)

Personally if the trail wasn't any worse I think a S10 with a decent size tire could make it. You might need a little tug over the rock ledge, but that is the only problem I could think of.

18. mosesburb

I've got 30 X 9.50 BFG A/T KO's on it (largest tire that will fit w/o a lift). I have tow hooks, big ass snatch strap, log chain, high lift, skid plates......Let's Roll! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

There was a trail ....it went by the old milk ranch...Bobzilla has run it on a quad...the last mile or so is impassable...but would dump you out near horsethief i'm told...wish i was still there...i know that area really well...and where to find the golden metal...but i hear there's plenty of that here in colorado...pleasant to cc is my favorite trail...just don't run it on the weekend...its allmost like I17 at rush hour...go during the week...bring lots of tools and portable air for all the lets steal it and ditch it here vehicles...just ask fwp about the mickey's we were tryin hard to capture...until the heep squad from snottsdale showed up...

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. mosesburb

Well, I guess you'll have to come back for a ride /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!