Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

when going to crossover, you dont have to find an entire 2wd box,

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 2, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you can only swap just the pitman shaft so that you may use 2wd pitman arm, you dont have to be stuck with swapping entire box off the truck for a 2wd, one, the only difference from a 4x4 box to a 2wd one is the shaft itself. that is the only reason why there are two different pitman arms late '68 and up, i think that there are still some ppl that dont know or realize this, so i want them to see this and learn, it is not very hard to swap just the shaft, the hardest part of it is sucking off the pitman arm, which requires an inexpensive tool to do /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif here is one thats a little more expensive thatn usual but still not bad, it is really close to the same as the one i use at the garage all the time: http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Pitman-Arm-Puller--OTC7314.HTML

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Re: when going to crossover, you dont have to find an entire 4x4 box,

Great point! The simple sector shaft swap (the technical term). This will be the way I go because those steering box bolts are such a pain in the arse to get to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you talking about just swapping a 2wd side to side pitman arm in place of a 4x4 forward to back pitman arm? If that is what you are talking about than great! If you are talking about swapping the actuall shaft that goes inside of the box...then It would seem to me it would just be easier to pull the whole box off and go swap it strait across for a 2wd box at the wrecking yard. Sometimes you can get a wrecking yard to trade you a 4wd part for a 2wd part at little or no cost because most yards are always low on 4wd stuff and too much 2wd stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There talking about the sector shaft, the shaft that runs through the box...

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thats some good info. Where would you get just the sector shaft, local parts store? Some visuals would be good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i got the freaking post backwards, damn, dont know how i did that one, jeez,.... i meant 4x4 to 2wd.....
    haha

7. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

One thing i have never understood is how come a company or person doesnt' just make a pitman arm that will work with a 4x4 steering box shaft instead of converting over your shaft or box to a 2wd one and then buying a 70's ford pitman arm? because all they would have to do if they made one is just spline the pitman arm different right?

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are made, you should visit pirate4x4.com more often... And I believe Sky is coming out with one as well.