Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

when i cleaned my 205 it turned in to a 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by limey, Feb 26, 2003.

1. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

pulled my tranny down to rebuild it and after i washed it of at the quarter wash i was upset to see that my 205 when clean said 203 on it. any way are all 203 all time 4x4 bacause my gear leaver says 4hi, hi, N, lo, 4lo maby not in that order. so i was wondering is that was 2lo 2hi. i have never driven this rig cause i got it broken. but its really close to runnin now.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no thats full time 4wh hi and 4wh lo. THe tcase has a differential inside that is suppossed to you know move the power aound, the others just lock the diff and keep it full out 4wh. No offense but if your lever says that you should have known it was a 203, 205s are just 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, and n. Not in that order. previous owner tell you it was a 205?

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If it has a part time kit in it then all the way back (hi lock) is 4 hi, then 1 up (hi) is 2wd, then neutral, then (lo)is 2wd lo range, then all the way forward (lo lock) is 4wd lo range.

4. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

yea i was told it was a 205 but being my first gm i didnt know what to look for o well. it ended up being my girls unckle so he told me to haul it off . and free is a wonderfull price. when i pulled the inspection cover the gears look perfect and the oil looked new. will it hurt any thing if put manual hubs up front and drive with them free or will i have to put at part time kit in aswell. or should i just look around for a 205

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yea i was told it was a 205 but being my first gm i didnt know what to look for o well. it ended up being my girls unckle so he told me to haul it off . and free is a wonderfull price. when i pulled the inspection cover the gears look perfect and the oil looked new. will it hurt any thing if put manual hubs up front and drive with them free or will i have to put at part time kit in aswell. or should i just look around for a 205

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's not converted, putting the hubs will not get you any benefits.
    It depends on what you want out of this truck, but the 203 is a tuff T case and it's as strong as the 205 in lots of areas, only heavier and if not checked regularly might get some slack in the chain and break it.
    Putting the part time is good if you want to get better milage, not much though, but if you want to drive it in snowy or wet roads often I would keep it full time.
    Mine was awesome.
    Now I have a K5 with a 205 and it's not as nice on wet and snowy roads but I rock crawl with this one and it's fully locked so it's a different beast.
    Keep what you got free untill you have problems.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The 203 is a pretty stout t-case. I put mine through a lot of abuse before it finally broke. The chain broke and took the case with it. I dont know how many miles it had on it, but I do know it was a lot. One nice thing about a converted 203 is the 2wd low range.

7. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

how would i check to see how much slack and is their any way to adjust it out before i put it on

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No adjustment .
    Mile marker makes a kit to make it adjustable but I don't know if it's worth the price.
    You can check it either by opening the cover and checking how much slack there is, or by putting it in loc position and checking the play between front and rear output.