Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When is enough mods enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, May 1, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I can do a few more things to my rig (hydraulic steering, better armor) but I dont know if its worth it. I think I'm at the point where it gets around decent but If I want to do better, I am looking at a lot of money to do just a little bit better. Does this make sense? I could go custom axles and coil suspension but is it really worth the effort and expense to do just a little bit better when I can get around pretty good now. What do you think?

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

you have one question only you can answer .are you satisfied with it if so then it's good . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've got to agree with Dan. Are you wanting to do those extra mods so that your rig is more capable or so that people will go "whoa, check out the coil spring suspension on that wicked Blazer!"

Personally, after seeing your pics of Moab, I would be happy with your rig!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But, you know what they say....they are never "finished" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i think after all the work, now is time to set back and enjoy the ride, go ahead with the little stuff (steering, armor, ect) i am sure you will find other small stuff to change on your blazer, or get another one just to have to try the coils and all on, that way you are not frustrated with down time and can still go wheeling and work on the other at your leisure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Dr. Watson has touched on this a couple times. I have a few feeling on it too.

There does come a point of diminishing returns. Going Coil Over, 'mog 404 axles, dove tailing the rear, etc. will get you some more flex, strength, clearence, etc. but you have to ask yourself what are you prepared to do?

Me? It'll come off when it wants too. My quarter panels will one day be too munched to save, so i'll remove the bed and build a flat bed. I want to section the hood like Juanblazer did. And when I roll it, screw it, i'll toss a s-10 cab on it and exo it.

If you want to wheel in a stock looking K5 (full body width, etc) then I think your about done Sandman. As far as the use of more exotic parts, only you, the wallet and the wife (if applicable) can decide that.

You can go the way Dr. Watson did and start ditching sheetmetal ad hoc, but that is the point of no return. Also, Dr. Watson has lemented a bit about losing the body. If you really wanted to get into something the ORD K5 "truggy" has become, you might as well start bending tube, because no production frame will be as good as a tube frame.

There is a middle ground, which many of us are taking. Beef parts (lockers, 14B/D60 combo, 38"+ tires, X-over, low lift, fender trimming) and a lackadaisical view of body damage.

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Ahhh.... the old "what is my purpose (or my truck's purpose)" question....

These questions that you ask are what I call "talking myself around in circles". A better part here, a more durable part there, more travel, better gearing, if I just had a little more clearance ... it never really stops for us does it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif? ....and you're right - the more you wanna progress - the more it costs /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif!

A couple have made the point to enjoy your truck for what it is.... On the other hand, nothing is more satisfying than making an cool mod and then seein' it work for you on the trail. Your balance point (and mine) is somewhere in the middle. Our trucks start out as a compromise in 4wd ability. You probably noticed during your trip thru Upper Helldorado (since you went w/ quite an assortment of vehicles) that purpose built buggies and Jeeps have advantages over our big trucks. In most cases, a fullsize will not be the most capable rig around. But.... this is not to say that we don't have fun wheeling our "Oversize Creations"! In fact, I guess that touches on what I enjoy most out of wheeling mine - just to see how far I can push it - with what I've got!.... So, even though I run 1/2 ton axles, and (dare I say it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) All Terrain tires /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, it's still a blast to go out there and do what I can do with it!

Sorry I got so wordy.... but like you, I ponder this all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Our sport of wheelin' allows you to take your own approach to what your doing - an have fun no matter what anyone else has to say about it!

Marv

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yup, in economics we learned the law of diminishing returns. Once you get really badass stuff into your rig you get used to it and you want more. But it gets to a point where if you keep doing more you are spending way too much money for the benefits and soon you'll just get used to that and want more. It's kinda like crack. lol
    When I first got my truck i thought it was huge! 4" and 35's and now im at 7" and 35's with 1 ton rear and 3/4 ton front and im yearning for a detroit and some larger tires and different things. So I say keep it to where its still functional but not flashy. Get your rig to where its depedndable and it will get you home; not to where you're too cocky to where you'd try something and end up getting fawked over.
    ps. hyrdro steering would be cool, but coilsprings and axles would be overkill

8. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Dont know the specs on your engine but working it up could be fun especially for burning rice rockets with a truck that size.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I might be about done sounds like. I do want to keep the full body. I still run in mud and trails and its nice to have the whole back end for stuff. I would like to narrow the front but the amount of work for the return may not be worth it. Maybe I'll do some armor.

Even the steering assist would only help me in Moab. You dont need it where I live very much.

The engines almost too powerfull. I built it to win mud races.

I think what I'll do to it this year is put on some more side armor and just drive it. Maybe next year I'll get into again.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    but you have to ask yourself what are you prepared to do?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think this is not a question you want to pose to me... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Currently the front of my truck is (FINALLY) cut to pieces for a tube front, doubler adapter on the way and a custom hybrid 205 in the shop waiting for it, most of the pieces are in my shop for a coil rear (just need some rod ends - THANKS MARV!), ...

Next up, body panels and general finishing stuff. Then I want to wheel this POS for a while, I've been down far too long and far too often due to a variety of things. Later, maybe a coil front and a fully tube body (ditch the cowl/windshield which is all I have left)...

So, in answer to your question, "When is enough mods enough?", the answer is, "When your satisfied with the results." Unfortunately, for most of us, an answer of "Ahhhh, now I'm satisfied..." only lasts a short time... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Nonsense! You can never do too much! The end of the world is near! You truck is your only salvation!

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I like wheeling better than wrenching. I have been building my rig ever sence I got it in 93. Now I didn't take the super extreame route that some take but I still hate it when my rig is down/tore apart. I too am aproching the "done for now" mark. I look forward to not breaking down on the trail and saving all my time for wheeling and partying with my 4x4 buddies!!
    All the ooooo eeeeee wow ahhhhh hey lookkey here ahhh SWEET this and that is neat to hear someone say when they are lookin at your rig but at the end of the day jumping in and driving it away is the best!!
    I think it goes back to the original question, "What type of wheelin you want to do with your 4x4?" For me just being able to follow the radical rigs on the trail to get to that "Main obstical" and watch them destroy all they have worked so hard to build, snap some photos, offer help were needed, then get in my K5 and head back to camp and slam some beers. This whole trail side repair crap SUCKS! Wheeling for me is realxing, exciting and just a great time!
    I know my limits and I belive I know my rigs but it always suprizes me..... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    .02c /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if it does what ya want, then quit messing with the beast... just drive drive DRIVE! enjoy your creation! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j