Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When is it time for new springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kustom71, Jan 2, 2004.

1. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Well,when is it time?How would you know?Im not looking for a lift really.Is there a certain time to put on new leaf springs?Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's a couple of things to look for:

1. Ride quality. If it's starting to feel like you're riding a hardtail Harley when you go over bumps, chances are the springs are shot. Take a look and see if the bumpstops are contacting the springs- if they are, you should see a mark on the top of the springs where they are hitting the bumpstops every so often.

2. Body lean- Take a look at your truck from all four corners. Is one side a little lower than another? Does it look like the truck is sitting on a slight incline even on flat ground? Chances are one or more of your springs are shot.

I'm installing new springs on all four corners in February. My fronts are definitely shot because for the first time in 10 years the trucks sits level(the front always used to sit a tad higher) and there are round marks on the top of the front springs where the bumpstops have been hitting them. I'm also gonna replace all four shocks because I'm sure half of my ride quality issues are because of worn shocks.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

its time for new springs when they sit like this...
    [​IMG]

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i take that back..sorry, that picture doesnt show the HUGE negative arch of my front springs.. right now my truck rides about 2" or less from the bumpstops..

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah negative arch is what to look for when determining if springs are done or not, most all of them are doen by now. they are getting old