Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When is it time to replace my cat conv?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Nov 24, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

The truck has 175000 on the original cat and I have heard that they get stuffed up and can decrease power. Is this true? Will I notice a difference in performance if I replace it or is this just heresay?

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

The only way to tell if the cat is plugged, is to drill a hole fore and aft of the cat and measure the pressure on each side, there should be under 1/4 pound difference between the two.

To tell if is still working, bring engine up to operating temp (at least 180 degrees) then measure the tempurature for and aft of the converter, temp should be considerably hotter on the aft side (more than 100 degree difference) Hope this clears things up. :D

3. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

cool. thanks for the info. Ill try to figure out how to perform those tests.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't think any factory cat will be actually working much after 100000 miles. Cats work by using a platinum compound to react with exhaust gases. At some point, there is none of the junk left to react with exhaust gases. If your state requires it, replace it... otherwise cut it out and throw it away.

j

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

When you can smell a rotten egg smell then you will know it's shot..