Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When it rains, it pours...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_blasto, Dec 20, 2006.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I haven't been on for a while, but i have come crawling back. My 72 k5 wouldn't pass emissions so it sat for about a month. Then I finally had it towed somewhere. The shop is reputable and they said my carb is a mess, my cam is totally flat, and the less than 90 compression in each cylinder has covered my spark plugs in oil. I was intending to drive the thing to CO for a few weeks, but that isn't happening.

Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal, but my wife is on bed rest from her brain surgery and our copay on that surgery is about $8k give or take a grand. We are both students, so we are living on student loans anyways, and now I am just scratching my head trying to figure it all out.

So the question is do I have it towed to a machine shop and have a leakdown test performed and pray that my piston rings are fine and just replace the cam / heads? Or do I replce the entire motor cause the PO was a wack and the other things are probably about to fail too? Do I just have a rebuild done? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks.

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Glad your back... Sorry to hear about your wife... Hope things get better really soon...

My honest, but completely useless opinion is that you don't waste the money on the truck right now and instead save for the copay and schoolage.

But that may just be age and experience speaking.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

do you have another vehicle? If so let this one sit for a lil while so you can get on your feet well.

4. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

yeah man, id say hold off on the blazer for now and take care of your wife. Hope she gets better soon!

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wait you have a 72 and it has to go through emissions?!?!?! :screwy:

6. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the cursed state of UT. I didn't have to pass in CA or CO (part of the reason i love pre-74 cars), but yeah i do.

I totally understand the hold off on the motor sentiment--in fact i haven't told my dad cause i know he will just tell me to sell it :( . However, I am renting out a basement apartment and i can't park my car in the driveway, but the car has to be registered to park it on the street (and i have to move it every few days).

It sounds like I could rebuild it into a reasonable 383 for about 3 grand, but I have a few weeks to think about it.

Thanks for the advice, and keep opinions coming

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Ok, well I get what you are saying about the parking. I have been in a similar situation. I would recommend that you spend a little money each month on a mini-storage, or RV space somewhere. I don't know about there, but if you look around I bet you can find a really cheap storage location. And you can store that thing a long time for $3K and it won't cost you all at once.

And here is another option... Is there anyone from this list in UT that can help this guy out and give him a storage spot for a few months. If I was near there I would let you store it at my shop under a tarp while you get your medical stuff under control.

And then of course there is the Sell It option. I would hate to see you sell a 72, if it were a 2nd gen and in iffy shape I would totally tell you to let it go and get another later. But a 1st gen... well maybe just consider selling it. How good is the body, honestly, is it a real keeper? Just be honest with yourself.

Hard decision... I really understand. I have had to sell a '61 Biscayne, a '63 Econoline PU, a '64 Pontiac Catalina, a '61 Falcon (w/302), and a whole list of other 'special' cars when times have been hard.

Good luck with this very very difficult decision.

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Try and find a buddy who has some property for it to sit on for a while, and take on the higher priorities right now. 3 grand would make that 8 grand debt into a 5 grand debt, which is a huge step in the right direction.

The truck isn't going to cost you anything, or get into worse condition just sitting out at a buddies place :)

9. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Yeah, storage might be a nice option... then i might even be able to learn how to build a motor.

As of a month ago we have another car that we can share.

Ironically, last night before I found out about all this I was telling a friend how I am never gonna stress about money--cause it's just money. Now, I just have to sit back and take my own advice and laugh at the situation.