Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When low on gas, Engine cutts out when gassing it???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Jul 14, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

This happens when below a quarter of a tank. When stomping on it, the engine kind of cutts out. It's a 90 350 tbi.
    Is this a sign of something to come? Should I look at replacing the Fuel pump,or Preasure regulator? It would suck to get stranded on the way home from work where I'm at (Detroit)

Thanks

Jeremy

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe you have broken baffles in the tank? If the electric fuel pump catches a bit of air the truck will stumble as it loses pressure to the throttle body momentarily.

If you had a carb the fuel in the bowls would keep the motor running until it was pumping fuel again.

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be more inclined to think it's related to the baffle in the fuel tank.

Probably broken off (typical) and starving your system of fuel when it sloshes to the rear. Haven't heard of anyone with an EFI truck having this problem, even without the baffle, but it may be in your case.

If it only happens at a 1/4 tank while stomping on the gas, why would it be the pressure regulator or pump?

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

On a 90 with all of the computers, there is a gas restrictor thats doesnt allow the full amount of gas to flow when the tank is low. Mine does it when its really low, and its an 87. I found out from my friend at the chevy dealer that there is a restrictor in there. Fill it up and it will be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I just realized you said it does it at 1/4 of a tank. I dont think the restrictor starts working until its on E. Sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    -Harrison

6. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive got an 89 and whenever im running low and i take a turn real fast and then mash on it the sucker will cut out but just let of the gas and it will keep running till the fuel comes back to the middle