Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When making bumpers/sliders, what size tubing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Dec 25, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Okay... New to fabrication world. Just got my notcher, bender, and welder for Christmas. After I do some playing, my first real project for the Jimmy will be sliders and new front/rear bumpers.

What kind/size of tubing should I use for the bumper(s) and sliders?

Thanks y'all! And Merry Christmas!!!

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What size dies do you have? Or are you waiting on getting dies? If you still need to order dies order dies with the smallest CLR you can get. That way it takes less space to complete a bend.

back to the tubing. I would use at least 1.75"x.120 for bumpers. Maybe use 2"x.188 for the main rock slider. I wouldnt use anything smaller than 1.75"x.120 wall on a full size. It just doesnt look right and the smaller stuff isnt up to weight of a full size either.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I used 6"x2" tube for my rear bumper and I have 3"x3"x8th wall square tube in the garage for sliders.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I used 2" .120 wall tube for the bumpers and cage. For armor I would recomend going thicker than .120 My current slider kick tube crushed last weekend (winching while turning into it with 50% of truck on one spot) The kicker tube was 1" .120 wall. It works but can crush. I'm going to 1" solid round stock now /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif