Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When Selling A Vehicle, Should You Keep The Plates?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Jan 16, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I've heard of people getting parking tickets on vehicles that they've sold. It seems like a good idea to keep the plate. However, if I was buying a vehicle, I'd want the plate until I could get it licensed. Any opinions?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What I do is as soon as the sale is complete, I call the DMV and RED FLAG the vehicle as being SOLD. That way anything that happens in said vehicle until the title is changed your not liable for.

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here, in the south, if we sell a vehicle the tag is removed. You can drive on the bill of sale until you get a temp tag (which is quick unless you want a ticket). If I am not mistaken, the tags are issued to a person, not the vehicle (the left coast may be different, imagine that, so who knows there. Me, I would remve the tag, bottom line.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah its different, with the tags, if you remove the sticker, you get a ticket no matter what.

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Funny thing about it is that the vehicle is licensed in Mississippi but I live in Oklahoma.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Depends on where you live. In some states you remove the plates, in other states the plates stay on the car. Call your local DMV or PD and see ask them what state law is.

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Check your state's law is good advise.

My father-in-law many years ago sold a vehicle to a friend and left the plates on. The friend bought the pickup for his adult son. A few days later my father-in-law came home to a yard full of cops. The son had used the vehicle to commit armed robbery of a bank. :yikes:

Since then he will never let a vehicle go with his plate on it. When I sold my 74 blazer to a guy he was mad because I wouldn't leave my plates on so he could drive home. I told him I would be glad to follow him home and then remove the plates there. He said he didn't want me to know where he lives. Hmm let's see you won't trust me to follow you home to take my plates off but you want me to trust you to take a vehicle that registers to me. I just about called the deal off. I did take the plates right then and there. I wish I would have called it off cause it was a good running machine. Ohy well.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

In AZ we get to keep the plates now , and they give you some of the unused registration towards your new ride .

My wifes Impala has the same plates her POS Nissan had .

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as long as I've been known you keep the plates in PA. The plate on my Saturn is the same plate that was on my Suburban. The plate on my truck was on my previous pickup. I had a teacher at school that had the same plate(number anyway) since something like the early 80s. It was only 6 digits and the last 3 were 666, thus why I asked about it.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Call the DMV. In La they throw the plates away, so I did too, until they blocked the renewal on my drivers license. Apparently I either have to bring the plate in or send them notice of the sale. I just send in the notice now.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whoa wait timeout, you guys take the plates off of a vehicle when you sell it?

In MN the plates are registered to the vehicle and the vehicle to you, when you sell the vehicle, the plates go with it unless you're scrapping it or something. Even if you scrap it you're supposed to give up the title but sometimes can keep the plates.

EDIT: Forgot, sometimes when the plates are old enough they send you a new set when you transfer the title or renew the tabs. Example, when I bought my '93 the originals were "new" enough but when I bought my '89 they sent me a new set. The last time I renewed the tabs on my '93 they sent me a new set as well.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Plates here are issued to the person for 1 vehicle. They get junked when the vehicle is sold/transferred.

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

in ct the plate are yours. i have the same plates that were on my extended cab and they are soon gonna be on a blazer. you can transefer the registration. so when i go to register my blazer from the k20 i just hand them 20 bucks, fill out a form and keep the plates that were on it. then the vechicle is registered until whatever the registration on the origninal vechicle was to expire.

14. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

for every vehilcle ive bought or sold, the previouse owner keeps the plates, then you can transfer them to anothe rvehicle, or turn them into the dmv. so when you buy a car, the guy you buy it from needs to drive it to your house, or you drive it home illegaly (usually with the plates off a friends car or something).

15. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In Mississippi, the seller keeps the tags and turns them in for credit, or destroys them, they cannot be re-used unless they are vanity plates. The buyer of the vehicle has seven days from the date of purchase to purchase new tags, you drive on the title for those seven days. The person the tags are issued to is responsible for any violations incurred by that vehicle while his tags are displayed on said vehicle.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Heck, I've driven home many cars with out plates. If you get pulled over a title and a bill of sale (dated) is all you need. Some states even let you use home made in-transits in the window.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

here we keep them..

In MA,the plates are to be removed,and transferred to your next vehicle,or returned to the RMV and cancelled out..many folks never remove or cancel them,and junk the car with the plates still on it..not a good idea,especially if they are not expired yet!..someone could attach them and then YOU get screwed if they do something illegal..

I heard from a friend in CA,they RIVET the plates on,and it stays on the car for life,unless its damaged or stolen,etc..:confused:

Not sure how its supposed to be done legally..I assume here if you buy another car your supposed to have your plates and insurance transferred to the new vehicle before driving it home.
    .90% of the time most people just bring plates off another vehicle that are "active",and drive home carefully,so as not to draw attention..some claim your old registration is good for 2 days temporarily,but its a grey area in my opinion..even most cops here don't know the actual laws,and have to call in and ask if they pull you over in a freshly bought car on the way home(happened to me once,and several friends--they must have a 6th sense or something!).

--I usually have it towed or ramped to my house instead,if I have any doubt about the vehicle making it home!..it saves a lot of potential fines and troubles..got one truck halfway home and the gas filter clogged with rust and it dies on the side of the road..then a cop pulls up,and runs my plates!..and they were from my other truck,and he checked the VIN #..when they didn't match,and the color was listed as "Blue",and the truck was red,I had a bit of explaining to do!..at least he allowed me to drive it home,after I got it started again..(followed me right to my yard)and didn't write me up,as he was unsure himself about the "2 day" rule on the registration..:crazy: