Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When swapping a 14 bolt in

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Greek, Nov 28, 2005.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

When im ready to do this swap what do I need? From what I see I know I need a conversion u-joint, and new ubolts. Since the donor is a 78 I was told I dont have to weld new perches in, is that true? Also is there any site that sells a kit with those pieces or do I have to find them individually?
    Thanks and sorry for all the questions

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If the donor is a 3/4 ton you won't have to change perches ... if it's a 1-ton, you will. Year is irrelevant (well, as long as it's 73-87/91. Newer than that you'd hafta move the perches no matter what as those are IFS trucks which are weird.)

-- A

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Conversion u-joint you can get at any auto parts hut, and as far as u-bolts, any local spring shop can make them for you or you can order them from ORD :thumb:

4. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yea i meant to put that in to donor is a 3/4 ton. thanks for info

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can get the required larger spring plate at a local wrecking yard. Get new U-bolts though. I'd suggest new brake lines on the axle, you can get different length 3/8" stainless brake line at any parts store and it is a cheap rebuid part. A lot of times yards are hard on the brakelines and break them anyway.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If your driveshaft has the 1310 joint and your axle has the 1410 yoke wouldn't it be better to just have the dshaft end cut and modified than trying to find a conversion joint from 1310 to 1410?

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

yes thats better, but costs more.i'd guess 100-150 to have it modified and new joint vs 20 for a conversion joint. and you'd still have the 1310 joint at the transfercase,so you wont really gain any strength in the driveline.
    BTW its probly a 1350, not a 1410. i

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

those are pretty hard to find in my area. any truck parts are hard to find. you gotta go to truck dismatlers here and they want an arm and a leg. cant you drill out the 1/2t plates to fit the larger ubolts? i know its getto, but its free.

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

the half ton rear joints are SAGINAW S44 joints. they are larger than the Spicer 1310, and use different style retaining clips.
    the 14 bolt should have a Spicer 1350 yoke on it.
    the Precision part number for the conversion joint to connect the Saginaw s44 driveshaft yoke to the spicer 1350 pinion yoke is 447.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks. :thumb: