Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When the indestructible 205 starts popping...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 8, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My 205 started making some clunking noises. Then it started popping out of 4-low... and 4-high. Even with me holding the shifter into 4 low or high, it would insist on popping out and grinding whenever a front tire would begin to spin.

On the way home, a 35 mile drive from where it was acting up, it sounded like a jar full of bolts and metal pieces being tossed around, with the hubs free and it in 2wd.

What would have gone out?

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well in your particular situation...doesnt matter just pick another rig :)

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Without seeing it and tearing it down, it almost sounds like you have a bearing that broke apart. The pieces could be causing the noise you here and if the bearing is that far gone it would cause misalignment of the shafts/gears which could lead to it wanting to pop out of gear. Again, it could be alot of things, but that would be my best "guess".

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I should just realize that every time I think one of the fleet is fine and fully functional for the time being, something will go wrong. Oh well, I have another 205 sitting next to the garage. A bearing does sound like a most likely possibility.

When I replaced the clutch almost a year ago, I noticed the front yoke had some play/movement in it. Seal wasn't leaking, and I replaced the yoke itself in case of worn splines, but it still seemed "loose".

I just never have screwed up a 205 before, so I'm still in "shock". But I guess it didn't break, something internal just wore out and came loose.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Unfortuneately 205's are not indestructable. I've seen some broken due to stupidity (too long of a front driveshaft), most of the time it just busts the adapter but I have seen a case crack because of it. I have also seen a couple of 10 spline input shafts break during the truck pulls (healthy bbc's and mucho weight) along with one shattered output shaft.

All in all, they are a super strong t-case, but they do have to be maintained...(not to say that you did not).