Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

when the wheather changes, does your truck do anything wierd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 8, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

when it gets cold my manual window cranks get really hard to turn the first turn (only). when it starts raining, my keys don't work as smoothly in the locks. :o

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My passenger side window motor works really slowly, and back a few years back when i lived up in Flagstaff, the truck would start up in the very cold morning, but imediately die out, hit the key again and would be fine from then,,,never did figure out what the heck that was all about.

Oh and i also needed to drop out the 20w-50 oil that was in it from Phoenix, did alittle slow cranking when really cold...:p:

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

in the cold my keys start to work better...I dunno

and yeah my windows have a harder time going up and down...my driver's side is acting more strange than usual lately...the passenger side is always slow but it never has any problems....go figure.

-Avery

4. jfabert

jfabert 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just get new noises. I have a pully that squeeks and the body mounts creak alot. When it rains or I wash the truck (most of the time its the same thing) the drivers front leaf pack pops when compressed.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

when it snows the big red front bumper on mine drags the ground. :haha:

6. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

funny thing

when it rains mine gets wet:haha: and when it snows sometimes my door locks won't turn and in the summer for some reason the seats get really hot, like i left the seat heater on and the funny thing , i don't even have heated seats.jk/jk meant in good fun:haha:

seriouly tho when it gets cold my power windows roll down a little slower...i 1st thought it was the cold weather working on the battery but it turns the motor fine and its a yellow top optima. i think the grease on the windows mechanism may be cold and hard and slowing them down, because they roll down slow even when its running and i know the battery is hot.:dunno:

7. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

My power tailgate window in the burb gets hard to hardwire with gloves on. Dadgum thing doesn't want to ground itself! Why make the inside of a key cylinder plastic?

8. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

Cold weather

My problems apply to several vehicles - not just Chevys. When the temp gets below 20 degrees F - my wife's Volkswagen diesel Jetta's horn beeps when starting it. That's a weird one. My 86 S15 Jimmy speedometer squauks and the needle bounces all over the place until I drive for awhile. At zero degrees - my 85 Ford F250 diesel will have no brake booster function - it seems to freeze. Ford uses a vacuum servo instead of hydro like GM. Once the truck runs for 15 minutes and gets some heat, the booster frees up. At 20 below or colder - my 95 Subuaru AWD Impreza goes nuts when you first start it. Check engine light, gauges, AT overheat light, etc. All goes away after 5 or 10 minutes. Oddly enough - all my 80s vintage Chevy diesel trucks work fine at lower temps - if you can get them started - except the K5 Blazer rear windows will never open when that cold. One more - I had to start my 85 Toyota truck one morning when it was 35 below zero. To my surprise - it started with no block heater etc. - but firt the key-switch would barely turn and got stuck in the start position, the seat-vinyl cracked when I sat on it, the manual gear-shift would not move, and . . . when I turned on the radio - the power-button broke off. When I finally got rolling - it felt as if none of the shocks were working at all. After a few miles, things smoothed out.

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When it gets to -40, my trucks have to work really hard to get moving cause the diff and tranny gear lubs get thick at those kind of temps. Shocks don't work either, so its an extremely stiff ride.

Also, when you first fire them up at those temps, the engines knock something horrible for 5 - 10 seconds until they manage to squeeze the ketchup like oil through the venturis, lol My K25 has a TPI setup, and I installed a fuel pump relay bypass switch, so it will not turn the fuel pump on until the engine has built up oil pressure. Means I gotta crank the engine a bunch, but its much easier on my bearings, and having a 1500 CCA battery, its no big deal.

10. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I had doors and a tailgate, The windows would not work at all in the winter. The motor knocks for about 3 minutes.

11. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

whenever I had power windows they would work a lot slower in the cold. swapped out for manual though. also my holley carb is chokeless so its kinda hard to start when its cold but Ive got a new q-jet that Im gonna put on soon.

12. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:yikes: !!!

13. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

when it rains (and i have my doors on) the windows go down alot easier... when it gets really cold (32 or so) up in the mountains, my windshield wipers dont like to work to well.. oh and its a diesel so they dont like being snowed on at 10k feet and starting in the morning. lol..

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

slap-happy

I had a few motors that had slappy pistons once the temps dropped below 30 degrees--they start "clacking" at idle right after starting,and continue to make noises until they warmed up--then quiet as a mouse again..GM claims they are "barrell ground" and may be noisy until the engine reaches operating temparature..

I've had starter drives that refuse to turn the engine after a frosty night too,had to use a propane torch to get the dam starter thawed out,and get it started!..had to replace the starter drives..

Then there is the heater blower motor that runs normal upon a cold start,then suddenly starts shreiking like a cat with its tail in a blender,or makes a bad rapping noise!--scaring the living crap out of ya!..:doah: Every time my truck does that,I start seeing pictures of a block with holes in its side in my mind!..:eek1:

15. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

On my 76 GMC the window wipers don't work when it gets down to freezing. Work fine the rest of the time. My 71 Blazer is so gutted, nothing works and nothing changes.

16. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 82 Jimmy's "Fuel in water" light turns on whenever it drops below 45 deg. :confused:

17. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine does that too! I usually change the fan speed to make it go away. Once it warms up it won't scream at me. It sure is an eye opener :eek1: though.

Mine's a little slower to crank when below freezing, but it will start every time. It's the only time I wish I was using the stock air filter housing for the heat stove from the manifolds.

Leaks from the door window seals when raining (full convert 75). I do like the side effect from snow bashing though. Makes the truck almost as quiet as a lexus inside. Well a lexus with wind noise from the rotton door seals! Just no more pop's squeaks and creaks...

18. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

im really glad it doesn't get near as cold here as it does as some of these places. i dont really have any issues in the tx winters.

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Are you kidding!!!!!! It is almost down to 60 degrees here and I don't have a heater. I'm thinking about parking it until March when the temps will be a more reasonable 110 degrees.

20. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pansy...:wink1: I don't have a heater and I dd my rig....its been in the 40's most mornings around here.

-Avery