Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When to cut bait and start a different project?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure this really fits in the garage so I'm gonna throw it here since I'm sure it'll generate some responses that are beyond sarcastic.

I was cutting into the Pumpkin this weekend and realized how much rust was going on there. A good deal has been covered up and bondoed and I had the joy of hitting pockets with a sawzall and grinder. That's one of the reasons the narrowing job didn't turn out very well. The body is perty freakin weak all over the place. I had to reinforce the floors before I even considered pulling it outta the driveway and they're still not all that great.

I love the body style of the truck and love the truck for what it is, but it's in worse shape than all previous inspections revealed. I don't have any particular emotional attachment to it other than it was/is my first real build. I could use the axles and drivetrain in a different project that was in a little better shape....like something with lots of tube. I'm planning on wheeling the hell out of this thing for at least a year or two but at this point it's kinda like polishing a turd. I've taken a wire wheel to the frame in a couple of places and don't like what I see. Don't get me wrong, it's still plenty strong and will last as long as I make it but I'd really like to build something that's gonna last me for a LONG time.

I just don't like pissing money away and anything that I do the the truck itself that can't be stripped if/when it goes just seems like a waste. This is 50% weekend frustration and 50% solid thought processes...feel free to throw in your .02.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just a thought, ditch the body and build a cage. Reinforce the frame where it's not the strongest.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as someone who has been there, build the K5, keep going with this project. When the body actually starts to fall apart or you can't do anyhting else, then switch project. I regret both K5 projects I gave up. First was casue it was just a beat up rusty K5, second because I left for school and had to get rid of it. Either way I regret the decisions.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I will give you permission to start a new project when your truck starts to do this.....(first video)Video

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

he needs a cage over that propane cylinder...

6. 85mudblazin

Yep, but it was his last run for that truck, he is going to scrap it and build up a 4 runner with chevy parts. Should be pretty fun.

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Sawzall blades are cheap. Cut off all offending body parts, put your money into the drive train, wheel the wee out of it so you A. Have your fun with it and B. Don't ruin a good body dragging it over trail obstacles. After the body is all used up you will be at a point that you will either want to transfer your running gear into another beater and repeat the process or transfer your running gear into a project to fix up and keep nice.

If none of that makes sense just give my your k5 and I will show you what I mean.

8. mikey_d05

I'm pretty much already on that path:
    [​IMG]

The fenders have been opened up big time, the tailgate and top are now gone, the rear just got narrowed (for the most part) and the front will get narrowed before next season hopefully. I'm just saying it's not worth putting work into a truck that you can't take with you when you get rid of it. I'm starting to want something clean to start from....like a tube chassis. I know I don't have the skills to set one up yet but experience is all about trial and error. I'm not trying to pull a DW here, I know what I'd be up against and it'd be a hell of a challenge, but I'd love to set up a rig that was designed with our sport in mind instead of taking an existing setup and trying to mod the hell out of until it was capable. This is a trail only vehicle and is going to be run with a club full of toys, jeeps, and sammi's, so the body is gonna get bashed HARD. I'd like to have as little downtime as possible between vehicles so if I started a second one now, by the time I got rid of the first the second would only have a year or so left to go instead of four or five. Room and storage is a large problem for me but there are ways around that.

Anyways, just throwing around ideas, I would swap the axles over to whatever I ended up using for sure and the drivetrain is a definite possibility also. Like I said, I'm just sick of rust and worrying about the integrity of something because it's crumbling. If my dad had given this truck to me as a present or something I would probably feel differently, but he didn't, and I don't. We'll see what finances look like a little closer to the end of the semester and see what I can get away with.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Once your tired of a project there isn't much point. You'll be unhappy even if you pump more money into it. Actually I think the tendency is to dump more money in trying to make yourself happy.

If your gut says "Move on" that'd be the way to go. Find another rig you like and go from there.

10. 85mudblazin

Just wheel what you got. Who cares if you bash up a once nice truck, thats the fun of it. Taking something that no one would dream of doing and having fun with it.
    Everyone has been telling me ow you should just find some rusted pos and swap you axles and stuff in there. Well the time and effort to do that isnt worth it to me when i have a truck that I know how everything has been put together and has no rust. Sure over time it might develpo some from scratched sheetmetla but not falling apart like most beaters are.
    My .02 ;)

11. mikey_d05

:whistle: ....

[​IMG]

In all reality though, I think I'll finish the driveline on the K5 and start looking for a tube chassis in a year or two.