Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

When to rebuild a 265

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Jun 5, 2000.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Right now my '87 is at the shop getting the clutch done and I find myself in the dilemna of whether or not I should rebuild the tranny. The thing makes noise in neutral and my shift lever's a little loose but it doesn't slip out of gear or grind going in. The shop says it'll be another $800 to rebuild but if I wait and the bearing goes it'll be at lest another couple of hundred to start fixing broken shafts and the like. What should I do??
    Of course in a perfect world it would be nice to have a brand new clutch and tranny but I'm looking at $1800 for everything. Then again, if the tranny goes I'll have to pay for a shop to rip it all out again.
    How long can the 265 manual go when it's making noise??
    Thanks in advance.

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Are you sure it's not a Muncie 465? Thats what I have in my 87. I got mine rebuilt for $500. It's a long story but the original 465 was fine but I had to use an older 465 since it was mated to a 205 with a different output shaft and got it rebuilt. The tranny had over 200,000 miles on it and was still ok but I had it out and just wanted to go through everything. See if you can get them just to replace the bearing. Tell them you just don't have the money for a full rebuild. They're just trying to get you to spend more money with them. Hell, I've seen a few in the paper in good shape for $200.

These transmissions are strong and durable. The older 1 ton trucks used them. As far as the noise goes, you could probably drive it for a while like that. I had the same 465 trans in my old 70 Chevy 2wd. Had a friend helping me with an oil change(for engine). He ended up draining my tranny and putting more oil in the engine. I couldn't figure out why my engine was blowing out oil... Didn't help matters that I was on a long road trip either. I didn't realize what happened until 120 miles later when the transmission started to make some loud noises in 2nd and 3rd. I thought for sure the transmission was dead. Put gear oil back in it and it was normal driving after that. Never had any problems with it.

Shawn
    87 K5

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The input and output bearings, and the countershaft bearings are real easy to replace in an SM465, they all come out from the outside of the case. If any of those bearings are suspect, have them replace them now. If your synchros are OK, that may be all the tranny needs anyway.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Oops! Yeah, it's a SM 465. Man I don't know what to do! $800 bucks seems steep for just a replacement of bearings and that's even turning it in to the shop over the counter.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

For $800 they will disassemble the tranny, and replace all the internal roller bearings, and the synchros. That is still a lot of money, I would estimate that this is about an 8 hour job (max, more like 5 if you're good) for someone who has done it a few times before. The parts are less than $200.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

That's a lot of money! You can buy a complete rebuilt TH350 from summit for about $700 including shipping.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

It may just be the throw out bearing which gets changed anyways in a clutch job. Check on your bellhousing there should be an inspection plate if the input shaft or output shaft bearings are toast there should be oil leaking from the seals. I've seen some tranny's in need of rebuilding and they made noise all the time or they jumped out of gear.

Wasn't me.............

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well it doesn't seem to make noise when you put your foot to the floor, only when the clutch pedal is up and the tranny is in neutral. From what I heard, that means it's not related to the throw-out bearing, it's an internal bearing in the tranny. Does this sound right?